THE MEDIEVAL / WT WORLD VIEW

by ChiChiMama 6 Replies latest jw friends

• ChiChiMama
    ChiChiMama

I just started reading the book 'The Celestine Prophecy." I'd like to share a little excerpt with you that is asking us to imagine what the Medieval World View" was like and while you read this see if you find it familiar to what we are experiencing as a result of "Watchtower's World View".

Every place you see the word churchmen", try inserting the word "Governing Body or "Faithful and Discrete Slave.

It is very interesting to see that history repeats itself in various ways and also just how behind the times the WT organization really is.

This comes from pages 23-24

"The Medieval world view, your world view, begins to fall apart in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. First, you notice certain improprieties on the part of the churchmen themselves: secretly violating their vows of chastity, for example, or taking gratuities to look the other way when governmental officials violate scriptural laws.

"These improprieties alarm you because these churchmen hold themselves to be the only connection between yourself and God. Remember they are the only interpreters of the scriptures, the sole arbitrators of your salvation.

'Suddenly you are in the midst of an outright rebellion. A group led by Martin Luther is calling for a complete break from papal Christianity. The churchmen are corrupt, they say, demanding an end to the churchmen's rein over the minds of the people. New churches are being formed based on the idea that each person should be able to have access to the scriptures personally and to interpret them as they wish, with no middlemen.

"As you watch in disbelief, the rebellion succeeds. The churchmen begin to lose. For centuries these men defined reality, and now, before your eyes, they are loosing credibility. Consequently the whole world is being thrown into question. The clear consensus about the nature of the universe and about humankinds purpose here, based as it was on the churchmans description, is collapsing-leaving you and all other humans in western culture in western culture in a very precarious place.

After all, you have grown accustomed to having an authority in your life to define reality, and without that external direction you feel confused and lost. If the churchmens description of reality and the reason for human existence is wrong, you ask, then what is right?

When you read about the rebellion, did you think of things like the Silentlambs uprising, the AJWRB, and the UN scandal?

I welcome your thoughts.

Chi

• ChiChiMama
    ChiChiMama

I did not say they are exactly the same.

But we can see many simularities.

We were living in our own world that was controlled and defined by WT.

WT is dominant in the JW world.WT world is all there is to a JW.

The emotions we experience are also very simular.

Edited by - ChichiMama on 12 June 2002 16:17:15

• cellomould
    cellomould

your post reminds me of a book I read when I was younger...

...it was set in the future, but the world had become again as it was in medieval times...the highest technology consisted of swords, shields, and castles...

...there was an institution, a religion of sorts, that controlled people's lives and destinies... for example, the priests used to make people believe their dead relatives were communicating from the spirit realm.

...a young man figured out that it was all a hoax...he unraveled the secrets of the true history of the world...there had been war and people out of fear discarded most of technology...but leaders kept some secretly to maintain control...for example, tape recordings of voices were made before they died...these recordings were manipulated to make spurious 'spirit messages'.

I wondered when I read that, 'what if my religion is just a big hoax?'. I was probably only about 12, but the implications resonated within me for a long time.

Has anyone else read this book? I can't even remember what it was called.

cellomould

• ChiChiMama
    ChiChiMama

Nita,

Yes,I remember that feeling too.

That's when you became part of the "real" world and left the JW "fantasy world" behind.

It is scary at first but you wouldn't trade that new found freedom for anything.

• crawdad2
    crawdad2

hi chi chi,

looks like the same thing to me.......

i hope the watchtower society crumbles now....... i think it's day is over..............i got a feeling they are going to start loosing in court.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Man has dominated man to his injury...

Beware the teachings of men...

They like to quote these all the time, but the Dub's really think it paranthesses somewhere it says "except us"

• cellomould
    cellomould

The last one sounds like the one, VM44, but slightly different title I think...I will check, thanks!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit