FADE-AWAYS?

by bay64me 7 Replies latest jw friends

• bay64me
    bay64me

Heard through the grapevine the other day that another member of my old congregation had decided they were not going to any more meetings. This seems to be happening a lot lately. I was wondering if this is a bit of a trend of late? And if so, will the organisation be clamping down on fade- aways? Any thoughts?

• Simon
    Simon

We used to have the expression "The Sundown Kid" (like The Sundance Kid) for people who just turned up for the memorial.

• City Fan
    City Fan

And there were Pussycat Publishers - or those that said "Right, I've done miaow-er"

Get it - my hour / miaow-er - Laugh, I nearly did.

Didn't the Society once say that over 90% of people who left or got kicked out eventually came back in - I would think that figure is a lot lower now.

• Matty
    Matty

City Fan True. Must be a lot lower now.

Now it's 15 minutes, they will have to change that - Quarter Christians or something. Warhol Witnesses - famous for just 15 minutes!

Edited by - matty on 12 June 2002 6:27:29

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

One of the old favourites in our area was the submarine Christians who only showed up around at C.O. visit and Memorial time. Just bobs up and down every now and then.

And the one about being in the middle of the congregtion where the embers were hot not like the embers that were around the outside of the fire cooling down.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Mulan I remember parroting that one about the five fingers so often ( I believed it DAH)they told us your hanging on a cliff with one hand(other injured)the first finger gives up( meetings) the second gives up( service)the third is study.....It is impossible to hang on with two fingers.

The other boat one was- your at the cabin- go for a row in your little boat- jump out & run into the house for a minit- but a storm whipps up

& carries the boat away- you forgot to tie it to the tree-That is what happens when you stop going to meeting just once-- Armeggedon comes( you would be safe in the Kingdumb Hall) & your not there Bros /Sis let this be a lesson to you all.Hey I swallowed that garbage-went for over 20 yrs tied to the deadwood tree.......Dah

Then there was the time my daughter had cancer- I looked after her( no service time)they told me if I didn't have any "time in" They would know I was spiritually dying--hey I swallowed that one too !!! Yes you can all laugh & call me a "dummy" but I "aaint"no more I am a free spirit

• Sabine
    Sabine

An elder in West LA called the fade-aways that only attended the memorial "memorial day saints". It's a sad place to be, physically out, but mentally in...coming once a year for a good dose of jw guilt.

• Kingpawn
    Kingpawn

Didn't it occur to the guy doing the lifeline parable that hanging on to a lifeline attached to a sinking ship meant you would go down with it? You lose either way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit