Religious Bigotry and the Divine Puzzle

by professor 2 Replies latest jw friends

• professor
    professor

If you think about the advances we Earthlings have made, for example, just over the past 50 or 100 years in science, medicine, travel, communication, and human rights, it reveals that we are progressive beings. It is in our nature to learn from our mistakes and our discoveries. We keep finding better ways to do things. We keep learning and growing.

Events such as the September 11th tragedy remind us that collectively we also still have much learning and growing to do. A looming enemy of the human race is bigotry. Bigotry, of course, is egotism and hate. It is represented in racism, nationalism, sexism, and elitism. Ironically, the very institution that we have looked to for guidance in cleansing our souls, keeping ourselves pure: religion, has in many cases proven to be an institution of bigotry. None is a better example than the acts of terrorism in New York. The message was loud and clear: "Our God is greater than yours. We hate all Americans and so we must kill you."

We know that most wars are fought in the name God. Of course, in war, each side is somehow convinced that God is on their side. And isn't it true that most religions feel that they hold the only REAL spiritual truth or key to salvation? This self-assuming attitude is the center of religious bigotry. It turns brother against brother and leaves families, communities, and nations in ruin.

From Buddhist to Baptist, or Jew to Jehovah's Witness, the many religious belief systems all share similarities, and are all the convictions of intelligent and honest-hearted people. However they are also vastly divergent in core areas, such as attempts to define God or explain human existence. Falling out of this mindset to me was the only way to arrive at this truth: No matter how much more than my brother I think I know, life remains a mystery.

Of course God knows all of these things. He knows that you may have lived your whole life within a certain religious environment that to you is the only reality. He also knows that you may have stepped out of your religious reality, accidentally or purposely, and have seen a bigger picture. Here now are many realities to choose from. All of them are full of real, honest, and intelligent people. But why do they disagree so? And why do they shun one another? Why do they hate and kill one another?

Remember our progression as a human race? We have identified and pointed out many forms of bigotry and seem to be taking a stand against such self-destructive behavior. We have even reached for freedom of religion. But from within our own individual realities and belief systems, we still have our ego-complex. We still shun and hate for what path others have chosen, or have not chosen. From inside this may make sense to us. But can you truthfully and unequivocally state that the path you have chosen is better than all others?

None of us can truthfully say this. Life is truly yet a mystery. And why shouldn't it be? With all of our intellectual advances, we still do not know the secrets of our existence. And God knows this. Would it not be a divine irony to find out that all God is waiting for is for us to come together and admit that we do not know? We do not know! Perhaps we must all first learn how to accept and love each other before we can move on, before God shows us more.

Edited by - professor on 11 June 2002 3:24:50

• Undecided
    Undecided

H i Professor,

Very good thoughts, I readily admit that I don't know what God is up to, if there really is an active God, and I sure won"t try to persuade others to follow my thinking. Sometimes I may be critical of religious ideas but I don't condem the people who may be trapped in them, well maybe I do when they try to kill us Americans.

I've about concluded that God views us like we do a colony of ants, if we agravate him, he just stomps us..

Ken P.

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

While I kinda agree with you, I think you will find that there are plenty of religions that don't claim to be the one true path. The reason that Christianity, Judahism, and Islam get so much attention is that they are by their nature absolutist religions. I'm sure it is very empowering to believe that you are beholding of key knowledge and an omnipotent being has got your back. However, nationalism is just as dangerous and doesn't always have to be religously motivated. Cambodia is an example of this. Of course every religous person likes to spout off things like, well Hitler may have been baptized and claimed to be a christian but he wasn't a true christian. As I posted before, these kinds of statements are a convenient way to cleanse your mind of any thoughts that there might be something wrong with a core belief that you're right and everyone else is wrong. I also posted this, sorry to sound like a broken record, if everyone just lived like we do and followed the Bible everything would be good in the world. This line of thinking is the height of arrogance but all of us I'm sure have thought this before. The difference between just thinking this and putting it into action is huge. I'm getting tired so my thoughts are starting to trail off..........

Edited by - gsx1138 on 11 June 2002 12:8:13

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit