The Internet Saves

by anglise 9 Replies latest jw friends

• anglise
    anglise

Replying to a thread lower down made me wonder how did those who left the org years ago cope.

Today we have access to virtually all the information in the world via the internet, so its not hard to find others who have had the same experiences that you have and to learn from them.

But even just a few years ago this was almost impossible.
    When we came into the org in the early 1980's we did reseach as far as we were able but didnt find much in our local library.
    So we were caught!!!

Those leaving the org back then must have felt isolated and even more frustrated then we do today.
    I can remember being told about protesters outside conventions etc and that you musnt read their placards or take their tracts, but obviously it was the only way they had to try and help those inside the org see the real truth.

Surely the thought of such an isolated existence kept many from taking the final steps to freeing themselves.

Can any here relate to that.

Edited by - anglise on 27 February 2001 17:58:22

• Focus
    Focus

CITATION

1.4.3 Those who post new threads without a subject more than once are required to read The Watchtower for a year.

Please use the Edit Message button and insert a subject.

--
    Focus
    (nnoderator Class)

PS: Thanks for complying.

Edited by - Focus on 27 February 2001 18:0:36

• anglise
    anglise

Mea culpa focus

You read it while I was changing it.

Please dont make me read the nag mags again.

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, I've thought about that anglise
    It is hard enought now but must have been really tough back then - it does account for some of the growth, the fact that it was made so hard to leave.
    Howadays, even if they want to make life really hard for you (like they have with us) it's not that difficult - it's easy to at least find out enough so that they don't frighten you !
    It's always nice to be able to chat with people who have gone through similar experiences and understand and can offer advice or just solace.
    I have nothing but respect for those that stood outside conventions - I now realise how they were trying to help others and it must have been a very uncomfortable thing to do.

• mommy
    mommy

Simon,
    You just brought back a childhood memory. Going into a DC, walking across the street and holding my mom's hand. I had just learned to read and was readingeverything billboards, parking lot signs, I had just discovered the world!
    There was a man standing outside the convention center, screaming and crying, begging everyone to listen to his story. He was carrying the v-shaped placard that goes over his body. On it was pictures, tons of them of little kids, and family photos. On one side it said "The WTBTS stole my family" I was craning my head to read the sign as my mom walked past. I will never forget I asked her, "Mom what does he mean? We have to stop and talk to him, he is crying!" And since I often went in service with my pioneering mother it was odd to see her turn her back on this man. I said," He really lost his family and we need to help." Her reply and I can honestly say it was the coldest thing up to that point I had ever heard her say,"If he really loved his family, he would still be with them and going to meetings like Jehovah wants" I was shocked, maybe this man was evil if my mom said so.
    Years later I again heard the coldness in my mom's voice as she told me,"Until you find your way back to Jehovah, you are no longer my daughter." SLAM Hey mom if you are out there I have never left Jehovah! He is in my heart and so are you, and so is the man standing outside of the assembly.
    wendy

• Focus
    Focus

> Years later I again heard the coldness in my mom's voice as she told me,
    > "Until you find your way back to Jehovah, you are no longer my daughter." SLAM
    > Hey mom if you are out there I have never left Jehovah! He is in my heart and so are you,
    > and so is the man standing outside of the assembly.

Indeed!

Whatever my misgivings, let us fervently hope that the WTBTS is wrong on its teachings about HELL.

For if HELL exists, those sickening fiends in the Governing Body, and their predecessors, and their "secretly laughing their heads off" cohorts at Bethel responsible for the whole scam are GOING TO BE TORMENTED THERE FOR ALL ETERNITY. That is a certainty.

Forgiveness most certainly does NOT extend to Spiritual-Rapists like them.

For all those mothers, daughters, fathers, sons and other loved ones whose lives and minds have been blighted by the PLAGUE MASQUERADING AS A RELIGION, may those filthy scum at the top ROT.

Sorry for being so indirect.

--
    Focus
    (Truth Class)

• Latte
    Latte

Anglise,

What a good post.

I have an acquaintance, who has been inactive for 10yrs plus, he used to pioneer with his wife. They brought up all their children as JW's mostly 'successfully' However, I've recently discovered that he has had serious doubts for all of the last TEN years. He has always been viewed as an ODD person, because of being inactive, - even by his own family.
    Somehow, (I'm afraid I'll have to shorten the story), he has discovered the INTERNET, and is, only NOW aware of the topics discussed on them. He is at last having his doubts confirmed. I only hope that he can get some regular access to all the other ex.jws who will be able to give him lots of support/advice, as his family do not have a computer, therefore, his access is limited.

I feel so sorry for this person, he still has to deal with his family, where 50% are still quite dedicated JW's.
    So, when we post, I think it's good to think that we could be helping someone like this person, who I believe has been feeling very frustrated, sad, imprisoned. I think it must be a HUGE relief to know that he is actually RIGHT and no longer alone.

I feel a thank you is in order, for Simon, in having this site, all those who post here! THANK YOU!

Latte

Edited by - Latte on 28 February 2001 7:43:2

Edited by - Latte on 28 February 2001 11:24:55

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

I can definitely relate to this subject, since I've been inactive for about 16 years.

I left because I was no longer able to deal with the hypocrisy and the lack of love within the organization. It was initially a very lonely time before the internet.

You feel as if you are the only one who is out there. The rules of the WTBTS were much more effective then. Being inactive, you really didn't know how to relate to worldly people, and you didn't want to make any JWs feel awkward by talking with them. Additionally, you knew you couldn't go back and didn't want to deal with any sermons about reactivating yourself.

Feelings, thoughts, emotions, were pretty much stuffed inside with no outlet. After getting online several years ago and discovering ex-JW boards, I found that I would sit reading the posts while sobbing in relief. FINALLY there were those who understood. FINALLY I knew there were others like me. FINALLY I had my doubts, feelings, and experiences validated by others who had lived through the same thing.

• Grunt
    Grunt

Like RedhorseWoman, I left way before the internet. The part that bothered me was that I knew they were wrong on the dates, knew they had been way off on the Kings of the North and the Pyramids, but had found this out by myself and still thought they were right about a lot of stuff which only they taught, trinity, hell, the immortality of the soul and so on. So I felt a lot of guilt that maybe despite the errors, they really were the closest thing to truth on earth and I was keeping away from them. I felt as Red did when I read Crisis of Conscience and then got on H20 and even Wit.net. The internet is wonderful. When I look at the quality of the people who have left, I am honored to be a part of that company. It takes a lot to stand up to a controlling authority figure and put it all on the line for what you think is right. Many here have walked a lonesome valley with only their integrity for company and with all the ones they love trying to blackmail them back into the false "light" being put forth by the Jehovah's Witnesses. No "hell-fire" has ever tried to frighten a congregation any more than the Witnesses do, throw in shunning with the promise of eternal destruction and it takes a lot to hold the course. Yet the boards are full of people who have done just that.

• Grunt
    Grunt

Please insert Preacher after "hell-fire" in my previous post. Sorry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit