Questions for this weeks service meeting

by NikL 5 Replies latest jw friends

• NikL
    NikL

In the true spirit of sharing all the bountifull truths that exist within gods organisation (Note the sarcasm) I am forwarding the following questions I have obtained for use at this weeks service meeting...
    Building Appreciation for The Bible -Mankind's Oldest Modern Book

The following questions highlight points you may have observed when watching this video:

(1) What facts distinguish the Bible as being unequaled?

(2) Give an example of how the Bible, ancient as it is, agrees with modern science.
    (3) How can we be sure that the Bible of today has not changed from the original writings?

(4) What is an outstanding textual feature of the ancient Bible manuscripts, and what confidence does this instill in you?

(5) In what ways did John Wycliffe, Johannes Gutenberg, William Tyndale, Mary Jones, and Charles Taze Russell contribute to the spreading of God's Word around the world?

(6) How did the church fiercely oppose the Bible, but what has enabled it to survive to our day?

(7) To what extent has Jehovah's organization translated and produced Bibles?

(8) How has the Bible's practical counsel helped people deal with problems of compulsive gambling (1 Tim. 6:9, 10), marital separation and infidelity (1 Con 13:4, 5; Eph. 5:2833), and preoccupation with material riches (Matt. 16:26)?

(9) What evidence is there that applying Scriptural principles can overcome national, ethnic, and racial hatred in the world?

(10) In what ways has learning the contents of the Bible brought you greater happiness?

(11) Who do you think would benefit from this video, and how will you present it to them?

Apparently they are not selling enough videos.

• Moridin
    Moridin

I would very much like to see their answer for question three. If any have seen the video please let me know how the Watchtower explains how the Bible has not been changed.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson
    In what ways did John Wycliffe, Johannes Gutenberg, William Tyndale, Mary Jones, and Charles Taze Russell contribute to the spreading of God's Word around the world?

I know what Wycliffe, Gutenberg and Tyndale did to be so honored. But Russell? What did he do except peddle his books which he regarded as better than the Bible? And sorry, I plead ignorance in the case of Mary Jones. Is Mary Jones, the "Mother" Jones of 19th century women's and worker's rights or somebody else? What am I missing here?

Regards,

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Oh brother Third Son,

Mary Jones is responsible, if indirectly, for the Bible being distributed for the "common man".

If you cannot find more, I'll try and post later.

Ozzie (who believes Jehovah is not gender biased)

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Ozzie,

Am I right about which Mary Jones is being referred to? If I am then Mary Jones was a contempory of both Charles Russell and Joseph Rutherford. Is she one of the WTS's FDS too?

THirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• conflicted
    conflicted

I can give you an answer to #3 that I'm sure the WTS will firmly agree with.

(3) How can we be sure that the Bible of today has not changed from the original writings?

(WTS) Because we say so. (And if we find the original writings to be different from ours, we'll change the originals.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit