My idea for a book.

by TheContagion 2 Replies latest jw friends

• TheContagion
    TheContagion

"Even if an organized religion is formed with good intentions, it is only a matter of time before the organization becomes greater than the members. Once this happens, the priority of the leaders shifts from the well-being of the members to the well-being of the organization."
    (This quote from Elsewhere inspired me to share an idea that i have had running through my brain with the intention of one day writing a book about. This started as a reply to his post but then got out of hand)

This is too true. Organizations become organisms as they mature. That is why corporations are defined as "a body formed and authorized by law to act as a single person and endowed by law with the capacity of succession". A corporation is a organism. A organism that is recognized by law as a person. A person that can be in many places at once, and can have a life spans far greater than our's and despite having the same rights as you it can use them to a much greater extent. The body of any "god" has always been the organization of people that formed around the idea of the god. The body of christ was always the church. It wasn't god that moved mountains it was the humans that were inspired by the idea of god that moved mountains. It can sometimes be hard not to define the colony a organism and the ant only a cell.
    Large corporations no longer sell products they cell an image. What does it mean for you to by our product rather than the next org's? You will "be cool", "hip", "beautiful", "sophisticated", or "intelligent", or you will "be excepted" and you will "know the truth", you will be "right" and "live happily ever after" as long as you infect others with the image, vision or message, the idea of what it means to give us your attention money and effort. The idea is the contagion. The history of religion is the story of contagions competing over the limited supply of minds to infect and effect so as to have them infect others. Each finding their niche within the ideosphere.
    You don't cough when you have a cold because you have to. Colds make you cough because if they didn't they wouldn't have much chance of finding a new host and would make it no further. The colds that have found themselves in our generation have long lines of ancestors who all found hosts and effected them in a way so as to have them infect others. Out of all the effects viruses could have on their hosts they really struck gold with hanging out in the lungs and making their host's throat itch or filling the lungs with just enough liquid to force the host to cough and spread the message(the rna code). Out of all of the variations that spawned from the millerite movement Pastor Russell really struck gold with "Armageddon in 1914"+"preaching will bring about an immortal life in paradise within your lifetime." When the first world war started the contagion became an epidemic and by the time it ended it had already infected so many that it was able to adapt. People's rationalization created mutations and it was survival of the fittest interpretation. Further adapting powerful ideo-immune systems that were able to fight off competing or dangerous ideas.
    A successful idea is one that has a greater than average chance of finding itself being passed on. That doesn't necessarily mean it is a good idea.
    As a organism is made up of self replicating pieces of information called "genes", organizations are made up of self replicating pieces of information called "memes".

"meme: (pron. 'meem') A contagious idea that replicates like a virus, passed on from mind to mind. Memes function the same way genes and viruses do, propagating through communication networks and face-to-face contact between people. The root of the word "memetics," a field of study which postulates that the meme is the basic unit of cultural evolution. Examples of memes include melodies, icons, fashion statements and phrases." http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/MEMIN.html
    Do a search on the word "meme" and see which one "catches your eye", and has a good infection stratigy.

The idea has been evolving in my petri dish of a mind for a long time, actually before i even new what memetics was. I plan on getting my lazy ass off this computer and rereading "Gentile times reconsidered" and writing a similar but much more contagious memetic study of the millerite movement. I will have strong selection pressures to make my ideas more palatable to the non-exJW.
    But then again that whole idea has to compete with "being cool".

• Francois
    Francois

Does the following do a good job of saying what you mean as well:?

"Sectarianism is a disease of institutional religion, and dogmatism is an enslavement of the spiritual nature. It is far better to have a religion without a church than a church without religion. The religious turmoil of the twentieth century does not, in and of itself, betoken spiritual decadence. Confusion goes before growth as well as before destruction.

There is a real purpose in the socialization of religion. It is the purpose of group religious activities to dramatize the loyalties of religion; to magnify the lures of truth, beauty, and goodness; to foster the attractions of supreme values; to enhance the service of unselfish fellowship; to glorify the potentials of family life; to promote religious education; to provide wise counsel and spiritual guidance; and to encourage group worship. And all live religions encourage human friendship, conserve morality, promote neighborhood welfare, and facilitate the spread of the essential gospel of their respective messages of eternal salvation.

But as religion becomes institutionalized, its power for good is curtailed, while the possibilities for evil are greatly multiplied. The dangers of formalized religion are: fixation of beliefs and crystallization of sentiments; accumulation of vested interests with increase of secularization; tendency to standardize and fossilize truth; diversion of religion from the service of God to the service of the church; inclination of leaders to become administrators instead of ministers; tendency to form sects and competitive divisions; establishment of oppressive ecclesiastical authority; creation of the aristocratic "chosen-people" attitude; fostering of false and exaggerated ideas of sacredness; the routinizing of religion and the petrification of worship; tendency to venerate the past while ignoring present demands; failure to make up-to-date interpretations of religion; entanglement with functions of secular institutions; it creates the evil discrimination of religious castes; it becomes an intolerant judge of orthodoxy; it fails to hold the interest of adventurous youth and gradually loses the saving message of the gospel of eternal salvation."

What this says to me is that it is much better to be spiritual within one's own self as opposed to becoming engaged in an organized religion, a social club in which the common bond is a system of common beliefs, and which - in the end - stifles the spiritual urge that led the individual to seek to socialize his spiritual urges in the first place.

Would be very interested in your reaction.

Francois

• TheContagion
    TheContagion

"Does the following do a good job of saying what you mean as well:?"

No actually not at all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit