Help! Is it possible to earn a living under 40 hrs

by Leander 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Leander
    Leander

On a few posts here and there I've noticed some of the people on the board have been able to create their own careers without working the dreaded fulltime hours. I've been wanting to do this for years but I don't have a clue as to how to get started.

I've really wanted to get into the field of real estate development. Since I was a kid I've had an intense love for architechture but at this stage in my life I don't have the time or money to go back to school. But from what I've read up on real estate development I can still make use of my creativity and basically design homes with the aid of a architechture and construction staff. This appears to be a very profitable business but I have no clue as to how to get started in doing something like this.

Does anyone here have experience on what steps are needed in building up a business from scratch?

Also what are some decent jobs that require less than 40 hours a week?

Just as a bit of background info, I'm currently working in the IT field. I've been involved with this type of work for about 6 or 7 years now and while I do enjoy it there does'nt appear to be much available in part time employment. The pay in IT has been pretty good for me but I just desire more time to pursue other interests outside of work.

thanks for any suggestions

• blondie
    blondie

In my experience, setting up a business/self-employed takes more time than a 40-hour standard work week at the beginning. Once the business is established, your work hours may be more flexible. It depends to some degree on your ability to scale back. I would not recommend this if you have workaholic tendencies already.

I would talk to government agencies or other groups in your area set up to help the beginning business person. They can get you in touch with others who have already successfully done what you are thinking about. They are knowledgeable about the laws and standards that must be met as well.

Remember that as the business owner or sole employee, you will be responsible to see that the necessary legal and tax requirements are met on a timely basis. You could hire someone to do this when profits allow.

I would suggest drafting a business plan with your goals over the next 6 months, 1 year, 3 years, and 5 years taking into consideration any future plans that can impact negatively or positively, such as a divorce, new child in the family, etc.

May things go well for you.

• jst_me
    jst_me

If you are in the US, go to the Better Business Bureau, they have a program for people wanting to start businesses. They walk you thru all the basics, including writing your business plan and how to apply for grants.

• Mutz
    Mutz

Is it possible to earn a living under 40 hrs........A million JW window cleaners think it is

• LoyalLeon
    LoyalLeon

after all ... you're not going to pioneer, are you?

LL

• roybatty
    roybatty

One thing to keep in mind when approaching government agencies for loans or grants to start a business. What they are going to look for is "what is in it for us" meaning return on their invest in the form of taxes. They'll want to know if your venture will create jobs for people in the community.
    So while not encouraging you to lie, you might not want to state that you're only looking to start a business to employ only yourself.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Send me $2500.00 per month and I will telepathically teach you.

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp
    Send me $2500.00 per month and I will telepathically teach you.

Only a JW would fall for that one! You should try their site. LOL

• SEAKEN2001
    SEAKEN2001

Hi Leander,

Starting and running a business is definitely not the way to cut down on your work hours. If you really want to run your own business it will take twice as much time as your current 40 hour job, for possibly several years. If you are successful then it may be possible to cut back your personal work hours as you gain trust in other people who can share the workload.

If all you are trying to do is simplify your life, and you don't need a lot of money, and have discipline to set enough aside for your old age, then it is possible to make a living doing any number of things, like cleaning, selling, deliveries, etc. But it sound to me like you would rather build a small business and control your own destiny. You will need to decide if you can sacrafice your time to build a successful business. It's extremely time consuming but it may be worth it if you are driven enough.

One thing I know is that you will never be self-sufficient working for someone else unless you're willing to be content with very little. Some people can use their wages to build some future financial security. Some people, like me, have a hard time being content to take orders and work for wages and keep my personal life seperate from my work life. To me it is all the same. I take my work seriously and it is a big part of my life and my future. So for me, it makes more sense to build my own business that I can steer where I want it to go.

At any rate, I know of no way to work less than 40 hours initially and continue at your current wages. Something will have to give, either your time or your wages.

Sean

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit