NH Knorr and his marriage

by moggy lover 9 Replies latest jw friends

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

I have heard anecdotal evidence about the marriage of NH Knorr to Audrey Monk [I think that was her name] and how it had never been consummated, in other words that it was a sham. But does anyone know the facts about how this marriage ended?

Did Knorr engineer a divorce at some time, and if so, on what grounds? Was the marriage one that ended in separation, or did she suffer in silence and stay with him till his death?

I believe she married again but was Knorr alive at the time?

And finally, have any photos been published with the two together?

• blondie
    blondie

Her last name is/was Mock. They married in 1953. Before that married couples were rare at Bethel and marriage meant leaving Bethel before that.

No divorce but she did remarry after he died.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/284940/audrey-mock-knorr-hyde-where-we-going?page=1

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2004485

• minimus
    minimus
    ....and probably had sex, too.
  • leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly
    I knew Audrey personally. Lovely person. She remarried after Knorr died. Sadly, she passed away a few months back. I never heard her marriage to Knorr was a sham. Doesn't mean it wasn't, just that I never heard that.
  • careful
    careful

You may be thinking of C. T. Russell. He stated right in the WT that he and Maria never consummated their marriage—insightful now given all their marital difficulties. I read the WT statement years ago myself, but don't have the ref. any more. Surely someone here does. Penton, I think, made a deal about this in one of his books.

Given how much Knorr changed after marriage, I doubt that he followed Chuck's lead on this one.

• careful
  • careful
    careful

Found the ref.:

WT 1906, reprints 3815.

• blondie
    blondie
    Remember that the Bible Students of Russell's time expected to go to heaven at one point in 1881 which was updated to 1914.
  • moggy lover
    moggy lover

Thanks guys, I am glad I got the facts right. I had heard that Audrey Mock [Knorr Hyde] died recently and that she was a good and decent person.

But Knorr? Well, that is a different thread.

• zeb
    zeb
    Thus the origins of sexual repression in the wts and rigorously carried on by Rutherford et al.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit