a quick survey:

by dustrabbit 8 Replies latest jw friends

• dustrabbit
    dustrabbit

All right, I'm still a newbie, but here's a great way for me to do some research: A Survey!

1. Were you:
    A. Born into "the truth" (as the JWs put it.)
    B. Joined between ages 4-12
    C. Joined between ages 13-21
    D. Joined after the age of 22

2. Why did you become a baptized JW or associated with JWs?

3. If you were a child in the JWs and are no longer in the church:
    A. Why did you leave?
    B. Did you enjoy your time in? (God, that line sure makes the JWs sound like prison :X ) Give reasons why you feel the way you do.

4. If you are still in the JWs, why are you still in?

5. What is your highest education level? If you are a former member, what was the highest level of education you obtained while you were still in? And what is it now that you are gone from the Organization?

6. What is/was your biggest complaint about the JW doctrine?

7. If you are/were part of an interracial relationship/partner as a JW or when you were one, what the reception you recieved from your "brothers and sisters"? What is/was the ethnic make-up of the relationship?
    And what you do think is the attitude of the Organization towards interracial relationships?

8. If you are Asian/Asian-American, would you be willing to discuss with me through email about your experiences in the JWs?

Thanks,
    Dustrabbit

To do list:
    1.Still waiting to goose the Organization.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Are you working on a paper for Sociology class?

What is your back ground....why don't you answer the questions?

• dustrabbit
    dustrabbit

Nah, puff...i'm a writer who has been kickin' around with some story ideas that have some inspiration from my JW roots...but if you wanna dare me to answer fine:

1. Forced into it when I was almost five.
    2. Never baptized, just forced to go until I was 18 and decided I didn't need to be a slave nay longer. Actually the truth set me free a long time before that, it was just that dear old Mom and Dad forced me to go to the KH and they couldn't understand why that i didn't enjoy the thought of dying if i ever had the misfortune of needing a blood transfusion and being denied one b/c some kooky GB and their god said I couldn't.
    3. The other questions can be answered if you want to know when I post some of my non-fiction writing that I did back in college....
    4. I'm white/hispanic...and that's all for now..
    the dustrabbit

To do list:
    1.Still waiting to goose the Organization.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

1. Born into "the truth" (as the JWs put it.)

A. Why did you leave?

I was disfellowshipped because I let a guy who was not my husband sleep in my apartment. It "looked" bad and "brought reproach on Jehovah's name".

B. Did you enjoy your time in? (God, that line sure makes the JWs sound like prison :X ) Give reasons why you feel the way you do.

Some aspects were good. My ex-best friend was in my life for 15 years and I met her at the Kingdom Hall. But untimately the religion is also what made me lose her. The meetings were boring and so was field service but they were no big deal to me.

I'm not in so. . .

5. What is your highest education level? If you are a former member, what was the highest level of education you obtained while you were still in? And what is it now that you are gone from the Organization?

JW's are not encouraged to go to college because it takes away from time spent out in field service (hehe). So after I graduated I just worked. But when I turned 21 (still a JW) I decided to go back to school anyway. I was disfellowshipped almost a year ago and I am in my 3rd year of college.
    The claim that only their members look good in God's eyes. Also their doctrine changes so much that it's obvious that God DOES NOT approve.

7. If you are/were part of an interracial relationship/partner as a JW or when you were one, what the reception you recieved from your "brothers and sisters"? What is/was the ethnic make-up of the relationship?
    And what you do think is the attitude of the Organization towards interracial relationships?

I never ever saw a problem with acceptance of interracial relationships. It was actually quite common. I am black and am now married to a white man and that was never a problem.

8. If you are Asian/Asian-American, would you be willing to discuss with me through email about your experiences in the JWs?[i]
    Why do you have to be Asian?

StinkyP

"Keep your friends close, but your enemies even closer"

• Adonai438
    Adonai438

1- C - converted at age 14
    2- Family members invited, I was interested in church/God
    3- a)Their doctrines are not biblical
    b)Kind of. I liked the attention I got because my immediate
    family was really messed up but it was always conditional to
    agreeing with them. The proof: The elders made my aunt kick me
    out at 15 for deciding to not be JW.
    4- NA
    5- High School and some College. I was still in HS when I left so
    doesn't really apply. Am now a stay at home mom and very happy.
    6- It was invented. It wasn't teaching what the Bible said but it
    didn't matter to them. No matter how much scripture you had to
    prove it they would just shrug it off saying that someone in the
    WT knows why it's true so they trusted God's channel.
    7- No experience here personally but my aunt has interacial kids and
    now a marraige but in her KH it wasn't a big deal. Except that
    they used it to brag how perfect and non prejudice jws are.
    8- I am not asian but my younger cousins are and are still JWs.
    The 2 oldest are Vietmanese american and the 2 younger are Korean
    american. Actually the oldest is not a jw at heart but is forced
    to meetings untill she turns 18 in a year.

Write if you want to know anything else :)
    Angie <><

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

i'm game:

1. Were you:

A

umm, my best friend was getting baptized at the summer convention so i decided to go for it as well.

A. Why did you leave?

too many rules and i didn't really believe it anyway.

well, i try to make the best of any circumstance. i had my share of fun.

na

da'd at 17 so i went to college, have a BA in English.

blood doctrine really sucks ass

na

8. If you are Asian/Asian-American, would you be willing to discuss with me through email about your experiences in the JWs?

na

• obiwan
    obiwan

1 Born into the truth
    2 Basically to please my mother
    3 DF'D in 1990,Gettin it on with a fellow sister
    4 n/a
    5 Some college no degree or diploma,also a trade school-diploma.No new
    ed since other than my own research.
    6 The isolation they put you in from the outside world,it really stunts a person socially.
    7 I was supposed to marry a black sister,I am white.My friends had no
    problem about it,but her mother made the statement "what about my black grandchildren" that should say it all.Well I do think there are
    divisions on the matter,but I also think it depends on where you live.
    I was in Alaska at the time and before that in Mississippi,so you could easily see the cultural differences.
    8 n/a

WOW It's a wide open world,use your
    own thoughts.

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

All right, I'm still a newbie, but here's a great way for me to do some research: A Survey!

1. Were you:

Adopted by JW parents at 6 months. Ergo "A"

My dad was giving the Baptism talk at the Circuit Assembly.

A. Why did you leave?

Disillusioned with silly doctrines.

Yes and no. Yes: assemblies, quick-builds, get togethers. No: Meetings, Service, Judicial committees.

N/A

H.S. I have A.A. and am working on B.A.

The micromanagement of individuals lives.

I saw a number of inter-ratial relationships (black/white, black/latin, white/latin) Most of my JW family are interatial (white/latin) I never saw any overt or covert racism in the JWs.

N/A/

"That's me in the corner. That's me in the spotlight, losing my religion." REM

And thank God I lost my religion.

The Big Dawg

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

1. Were you:

B

You had to be baptized to have any friends in our cong...if you were raised in it

A. Why did you leave?

I left when I went to college and realized that all worldly people were not demons and would not try to turn me into one

Never enjoyed it. I hated field service and going to 3 meetings a week. I always questioned why god would kill so many people in armageddon. I was asking that at age 6. I hated being an outsider at school.

NA

Was still in at age 18, when to college for 4 years, did not grad. Finally graduated with my BS in Business Management 15 years after leaving.

The complete control over every aspect of life from oral sex to education.

NA

Personally, in our cong it was frowned on. There were a few Latino's in our area and the interracial dating was frowned upon.

NA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit