AINT GOING TO HAPPEN!

by D8TA 7 Replies latest jw friends

• D8TA
    D8TA

“His three boats stove around him, and oars and men both whirling in the eddies; one captain, seizing the line-knife from his broken prow, had dashed at the whale, as an Arkansas duellist at his foe, blindly seeking with a six inch blade to reach the fathom-deep life of the whale. That captain was Ahab. And then it was, that suddenly sweeping his sickle-shaped lower jaw beneath him, Moby Dick had reaped away Ahab's leg, as a mower a blade of grass in the field. No turbaned Turk, no hired Venetian or Malay, could have smote him with more seeming malice. Small reason was there to doubt, then, that ever since that almost fatal encounter, Ahab had cherished a wild vindictiveness against the whale, all the more fell for that in his frantic morbidness he at last came to identify with him, not only all his bodily woes, but all his intellectual and spiritual exasperations. The White Whale swam before him as the monomaniac incarnation of all those malicious agencies which some deep men feel eating in them, till they are left living on with half a heart and half a lung. That intangible malignity which has been from the beginning; to whose dominion even the modern Christians ascribe one-half of the worlds; which the ancient Ophites of the east reverenced in their statue devil; - Ahab did not fall down and worship it like them; but deliriously transferring its idea to the abhorred white whale, he pitted himself, all mutilated, against it. All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil, to crazy Ahab, were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Moby Dick. He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it.” – Moby Dick

A Visit From a True Friend

A friend of mine had stopped by to give me a visit. She and I go back to days of early childhood; 10 years of age the both of us were when we first met. She has been the closest friend I’ve had, next to my wife.

My wife is a friend in the aspects of bias. She will always back me up, supports what I do. She trusts my decisions and let’s me do my thing. But this friend of mine from childhood, she is more of the I’m-not-going-to-be-biased-and-tickle-your-ears type of friend. A very educated person, and will speak her point of view. I both respect and admire her for who she is, and the wisdom that she possesses.

We sat down, eating some good ol’ suburban bar-b-Q this evening. Recollecting our experiences we shared the past 20 years together, entertaining my wife with the stories and such. Before my wife and I married, this friend and I had traveled around the globe together. We have never been “romantically” linked in our friendship, which is something we both pride ourselves on, it’s a brother and sister type relationship we have. This is a person who “knows” me.

So, as the evening passed, it came my time to share my current pursuits and endeavors. I shared my visits to this board, and gave her my current position as to what I think and how I feel about the WBTS. She was never a JW, but is very aware of my history and break away from the cult. Yet, after telling her how I feel about it at the present time, something happened that put myself in check.

After my “point of view” discussion had ended (which I will generally describe as what I’ve typed on this board), my friend sat there with tears in her eyes. Just motionless, looking at me with a pale white face. Her look was stoic in a way. For the first time in 20 years, I couldn’t tell what she was thinking or feeling. After an awkward moment of silence, those tears were not of empathy or sympathy, but tears of disappointment. And did she let me know about it.

For the past 10 years, I have always had a point of view that all humanity is equal. I have fought, debated, educated, lived, breathed, and ate this. I have also in my educational realm, been objective and fair. I have a voice of dissent when it comes to bigotry and hate. I’ve stood by the values of “freedom of speech”, and the respect of those who belong to faiths despite what religion they are in. This doesn’t go to say that I condone extremists who murder in the name of religion, but I do respect people and their beliefs of this globe. Should such a group practice harmful actions against humanity, I draw the line there. But I’m not going to give in to hate. I’ll be angry, and let such groups know about it. Thanks to my friend, she handed me a mirror, and let me know I’ve strayed from what I believe in.

Boy, do I owe the world an apology.

See, this past winter I let my anger get the best of me. I looked at my experience as a JW child and the unjust treatment from the WBTS, and my anger had turned to hate. So much so, within this aspect of experience in my life, I’ve lost total objectivity to this situation. And loosing this in one area, can in effect, allow others to question my arguments in other aspects of life.

This doesn’t mean that I should dismiss the wrong that WBTS has done to me, or others, but it doesn’t give me personally the allowance to seek vengeance upon them. No, I’m not going to turn myself in to a monster, which gives the WBTS victory. After breaking free, and become what I despise? Waste all that effort to clear my mind of all doubt that which is a lie? To overcome with only personal effort, to be one of the few to liberate one’s mind, only to be obsessed with the destruction of the WBTS? No thanks.

I make the decision to do otherwise. I will still come to this board and post, to show my support for those struggling and wish to break free from WBTS. I will do my best to channel what anger those around may have. I am not going to dismiss anyone’s anger at the WBTS, nor counsel them to change their personal view. I’m just going to go back to who I really am, objective and fair, respect the right of one’s belief and practice in it…even though I greatly disagree with such a belief. If there are those who want out, then I’ll do what I can to aid in that area. But I do understand and empathize with those angry, for I too am angry. I just won’t let it turn in to hate. But, that’s for me.

As to the issue of my family? 2 out of my 3 sisters left. The MS who “studied” with me at age 12, he and his wife left. I shared an objective view with these people; they listened and made their own decisions. My mom, poor lady, made her decision. She rather let the opinions of 12 faceless men dictate her relationship with her own family. Nothing I can do to change her point of view. She’s either going to accept me for who I am and accept what I believe in, or she will follow her faith and do otherwise. Should she choose not to talk to me? Her loss.

So in closing: I say GOODBYE ye old Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. There are those jumping your ship, and I’ll be the one of MANY helping them on to life raft should THEY seek it.

Besides….

::smirk::

It looks like your sinking your own ship anyway.

D8TA v2.0

• SYN
    SYN

Does that mean you're not going to sneak in with us and paint Smurfs all over the GB Meeting Chamber? AWWWW!!!!!!!

Well, D8TA, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. I don't hate the people in the Tower, I hate the Tower! I hate the faceless corporate entity which has killed thousands and has had a helping hand in the abuse and molestation of many more thousands, and which has closed the wonderful minds of so many people I used to know. I don't hate a Dub any more than I hate someone with a fatal disease, see, but I do hate the disease!

"Vaccination has never saved a human life. It does not prevent smallpox." The Golden Age, Feb 4 1931 p. 293-4 - The Sacredness of Human Blood (Reasons why vaccination is unscriptural)

• Olivia
    Olivia

"I’m just going to go back to who I really am, objective and fair, respect the right of one’s belief and practice in it…even though I greatly disagree with such a belief. - Quoting D8TA

Earlier this evening I entered a posting about blood. You responded to it with a very unusual remark, something about cows milk! Is this decision to "respect the right of one's belief and practice" something you decided since then? There is no need to reply to this posting...I am very forgiving! I am glad for your new resolve on life!

• Princess
    Princess

You aren't skipping out on the apostafest are you? I'm really looking forward to meeting you. Please?

Rachel

"Consider the lilies of the goddamn field" -Ulysses Everett McGill

• D8TA
    D8TA

Princess asked:

You aren't skipping out on the apostafest are you? I'm really looking forward to meeting you. Please?
    What? No way would I skip out on apostofest. I'm sooo there! No worries, will be there with beer and chips in hand to share.

=====================================================================
    Okay, I should be a bit more clear as to what I'm saying here. My feelings on the WBTS were to "seek out and destroy that which hurt me". I'm just not going to post the "Destroy the WBTS" posts. This does not mean I'm not going to counter arguments on THIS MESSAGE BOARD. Outside of this board, that's another arena. I'm not going to go and protest their beliefs beyond this board. This is a forum where on can debate issues.

Why?

Any Jehovah Witness who really believes in their faith without question, would not come to a place that is KNOWN to have apostates on it. Just by being on this board, I see anyone claiming to be a Jehovah Witness, is in some effect having DOUBTS about their faith. For why would they come here? You either BELIEVE or you DON'T BELIEVE. IF they come to this board, then that in it's self is an action of one having doubt. Remember: "Jehovah" has no "ifs ands or buts" on this. If they are truly faithful, they would "abstain" from such a place. So if a Jehovah Witness comes HERE, I do see it legit to at least question and/or debate. This is what this forum is set up to do. Now, should I respect the belief? Yes. Does this mean I'm NOT able to engage in discussion and debate? No.

Now on to Olivia's statement (and since she/he comes to THIS board):

Earlier this evening I entered a posting about blood. You responded to it with a very unusual remark, something about cows milk! Is this decision to "respect the right of one's belief and practice" something you decided since then? There is no need to reply to this posting...I am very forgiving! I am glad for your new resolve on life!

And did I say it is wrong of you to not to eat blood?
    Nope.

Did I badger you on not eating blood?
    Nope.

Did I say that your view and the view of the WBTS is wrong on issue of blood?
    Nope.

I asked if you drink cow's milk. I was trying to understand your argument of: Jehovah has no ifs ands or buts on blood and that you beleive that the Bible does not "fractionalize" blood. But why do many, many, many, JWs drink cows milk? Where is the "magic line" to determine what is acceptable as to blood? And since your extreme stance on blood, I gave you a suggestion as how to handel it as your religion would see fit. After all, it wasn't me who stated that (your) Jehovah doesn't fractionalize blood. And this seems to be a very important issue with your belief. So much, that there is a level of importance beyond sins that include: Lying, stealing, and fornication etc.

So, if one holds such an extreme view on blood, why is it okay to drink cows milk and not be disfellowshiped for such a practice?

D8TA v2.0

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

D8TA

Many years ago I realized that anger that turns to revenge only hurts me. It eats one alive from the inside - burying the good and replacing it with the hatred. I don't know how I figured that out so young but needless to say it has helped me a great deal in my life.

I still hate injustice and will fight to protect the innocent. But hatred for revenge is sour and curdles my soul.

Bravo for your friend and especially to you for being able to listen to her sorrow for you.

To live well is the best revenge
    --- not that garbage that seeks to destroy but rather the living well that builds up - yourself and others

Years ago I told someone that living well meant being able to go to bed at night with a clean conscience. For those with no conscience this does not apply. But for the rest of us this is important. When I die I want to be at peace with myself - not wondering if maybe I should have done something differently. I like being the person I am. You will like returning to the person you are.

A not-so-silent lamb

Aspire to inspire before you expire

• COMF
    COMF

Well said, D8TA. Nice tie-in with Ahab, too. :)

When they no longer arouse anger in you; when they cease to affect your daily choices and actions; when they don't occupy a significant portion of your thoughts-- then they have truly lost their control of your life. Your decision is a fine example for all of us.

"Can you believe there are still people suckering for this shit? Hehehe!"
    - J.R. Brown

• Solace
    Solace

D8TA,
    I dont have ill feelings twards witnesses in general. It is the society and the control it has over its members which bothers me.
    I dont agree with many of the J.W. teachings that hurt and break apart families like disfellowshipping and shunning. I hope I can someday set aside my feelings twards the society which caused my grandfather to make the choice which ended his life. It doesnt eat away at me but if someone brings up the blood issue I usually get pretty upset or angry. The whole thing just seems so unfair. I honestly believe that if the society changed some of their doctrines and permitted everyone to undergo any nessessary medical treatments, I could just ignore the fact that they exist but until then I feel this need to make sure others are hearing about the risks of becomming involved in this religion.
    You are a strong person to be able to let go of the anger. The posts I have read of yours have always seemed very fair. I dont think you need to change at all. Anyone who knows me personally would probably tell you that I am not an angry person. They may tell you that I dont usually give up on things and am very stubborn though.
    I have to tell you, when I first started reading your post I was afraid you were going to tell us you were leaving or something.
    Anyway, Im glad its not the case.
    P.S. Very handsome pic!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit