So, are they *dissidents,* or NOT?

by LDH 4 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

So, are Bill Bowen, aka, SilentLambs et al dissidents or not?

AND, more importantly, in what way do the WTBS deal with so-called dissidents?

Refer to http://www.jw-media.org for all quotes within.

In a letter addressed to Dateline NBC dated February 7,2002 JR Brown states one of the main reasons the JW did NOT DO an on-camera interview:

In this situation, you have related to us that your participants are primarily individuals who still regard themselves as Jhovah's Witnesses. We therefore do not view them as adversaries, but as individulas whose views and opinions should be heard within the framework of the congregation, or church, and not in front of a nationwide television audience.
    So, the WBTS is taking the position (theoretically) that as JW in good standing, they would be free to QUESTION the position of the WTBS on ANY and ALL issues.

Now let's examine whether their statement holds up.

On the same site, a transcript of a VNR (Video News Release) entitled "How reliable are the views of dissidents?" and subtitled "How to maintain moral standards" you will find the following gems.

DR Stark:
    The most unreliable evidence available is from people who have quit a group and for some reason or another are harboring a grudge.
    and

People who have got moral codes that they adhere to KICK OUT people who don't.
    So there you have it.

First the WBTS tells you that you are free to express your views in the local congregation. Then they print articles such as "Harboring Secret Thoughts" whereby they tell you that YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO HARBOR ANY VIEWS DIFFERENT from their own.

Then they will KICK YOU OUT. (Of course because you have no morals). And they will then proceed to tell anyone and everyone that will listen that you are nothing but a disgruntled ex-JW. Either way, they will never entertain the thought that they could be WRONG about an issue.

The old Potomac Two-step.
    Well, as Harrison Ford aka Jack Ryan would say:

Sorry Mr. Brown, I don't dance.

Lisa

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

The American Heritage Dictionary;

dis·si·dent (d¹s“¹-d…nt) adj. 1. Disagreeing, as in opinion or belief. --dis·si·dent n. One who disagrees; a dissenter.

If disagreeing with an established policy that protects a criminal and further destroys a young victim makes one a dissident, then add my name to that list of dissidents.

Of course, they like to misuse that word as much as they do apostate. Funny little word games they like to play, but cry foul if we refer to them as a cult or refer to disfellowshipping as shunning.

I found this little tidbit on the WT CD;

*** w95 9/1 27 The Cathari-Were They Christian Martyrs? ***
    Even Pope Innocent III recognized that the rampant corruption within the church was to blame for the increasing number of dissident, itinerant preachers in Europe, particularly in southern France and northern Italy.
    Let's rewrite it and compare to what is happening today, shall we?

*** w02 9/35 27 The [Governing Body]-Were They Christian Martyrs? ***
    Even [Milton Henschel] recognized that the rampant corruption within the [Watchtower] was to blame for the increasing number of dissident, [elders and rank and file Jehovah's Witnesses] in Europe, [America and across the globle] particularly in [America where pedophilia has been systematically mishandled and covered up for decades].

I guess it is okay to be a dissident against other churches, but not the Watchtower. Historically, "dissidents" have been responsible for bringing about needed and necessary changes to other groups. Now, the Watchtower, who has been shown to handle crimes very unfavorably for victims, wishes to demonize "dissidents" who are crying out for needed and necessary changes?

Wake up Watchtower. Redeem yourself before God. Institute needed changes and quit punishing the victims!

• Tallyman
    Tallyman

"JR Brown-nose states one of the main reasons the jWs
    did NOT DO an on-camera interview:"

In this situation, you have related to us that your participants are primarily individuals who still regard themselves as Jhovah's Witnesses. We therefore do not view them as adversaries, but as individulas whose views and opinions should be heard within the framework of the congregation, or church, and not in front of a nationwide television audience.
    Lis,

THAT is incredible.

When I was pulling my time in the Kult, the WT was Always HARPING
    about proclaiming the "Good News" as PUBICLY-AS-POSSIBLE...
    alway quoting that NWT rendering of 1st Corinthians 4:9-

"...because we have become a theatrical spectacle to the world."

Tuesday Nite on "Dateline" the jWs had a the Most Golden of Opportunities to Demonstrate they Believed that Scripture,
    and those LIAR Khickenshit Kult Kowards 'ducked and ran'...

LOve my Enemies, Tallyman

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

Lisa,

Well reasoned. I'm going to save this because I know my family's major gripe is going to be the apostate (dissident) angle.

However, you hit on a more insidious change at the end. What the hell is Ben Affleck doing playing Jack Ryan? Maybe the guy is easy on the eyes, but he can't act!

Hmmm

• LDH
    LDH

August 1, 2001 Watchtower. The second study article is entitled How to Make Your Advancement Manifest:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    First, since “oneness” is to be observed, a mature Christian must be in unity and full harmony with fellow believers as far as faith and knowledge are concerned. He does not advocate or insist on personal opinions or harbor private ideas when it comes to Bible understanding. Rather, he has complete confidence in the truth as it is revealed by Jehovah God through his Son, Jesus Christ, and “the faithful and discreet slave.” By regularly taking in the spiritual food provided “at the proper time”—through Christian publications, meetings, assemblies, and conventions—we can be sure that we maintain “oneness” with fellow Christians in faith and knowledge.—Matthew 24:45.
    Second, the expression “the faith” refers, not to the conviction that each individual Christian professes, but to the totality of our belief, “the breadth and length and height and depth” of it. (Ephesians 3:18; 4:5; Colossians 1:23; 2:7) In fact, how can a Christian be in oneness with fellow believers if he only believes or accepts a certain part of “the faith”? This means that we must not be content with knowing just the basic teachings of the Bible or having just hazy or partial knowledge of the truth. Rather, we should be interested in taking advantage of all of Jehovah’s provisions through his organization to dig deeply into his Word. We must endeavor to gain as accurate and as full an understanding of God’s will and purpose as possible. This includes taking the time to read and study the Bible and Bible publications, to pray to God for his help and guidance, to attend Christian meetings regularly, and to have a full share in the Kingdom-preaching and disciple-making work.—Proverbs 2:1-5.

So HOW IN THE HELL could you dare have the gumption to address your views and opinions within the framework of the church, per JR Brown, when you have just been told that you have no right to harbor private ideas?

If you make suggestions for change within the local congregation, will your "outside the box" thinking be encouraged or squashed like a bug?

(PS Hmmm I tend to agree with you, and I ain't heard a woman yet say Harrison is hard on the eyes, either)

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit