Was I the FDS ?

by Simon 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Simon
    Simon

Just a thought...
    At my recent meeting with the elders they accused me of being of the 'evil slave class'. I responded that there were not two classes as the scripture said "but if that slave..." ie. it was still talking about the same person or class.
    Now, if they claim that I have become the evil slave then I must, at some point, have been the faithful and discreet slave.
    But, I have never claimed to by such and I'm sure that if it was somehow bestowed upon me that I would realise it (although apparently, the Governing Body didn't realise it for many years, but that's a separate topic).
    Are they twisting scriptures to suit themselves? Does what they claim make any sense at all when you really think about it?

• RR
    RR

This is an issue I always bring up, that there is no faithful AND evil slave. What the Lord here is saying is contrasting the two. The slave is faithful, however becomes evil when he claims the "lord delays."

Interestingly, there is a parallel that fits. Consider that Russell believed the Lord returned in 1874, Rutherford then claimed "The Lord delayeth his comeing" and moved it up to 1914 then starting to "smite his brethren" because of it and began "eating and drinking with the drunkards."

The Diaglott renders it correctly but read "And if that servant evilly siath my Lord delayeth...." "That" servant being the faithful servant who grew weary of waiting.

• Prisca
    Prisca

Friendly
    Decent
    Simon

• waiting
    waiting

hey RR,

faithful servant who grew weary of waiting.

Man, that was cold.

waiting

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

bloody hell waiting - two rejects in one month!

LOL unc.

• sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2

Perhaps you should go back and tell your elders they were wrong?

Was Jesus foretelling that there would be an evil slave class in the last days? No. Granted, some individuals have manifested a spirit similar to that of the evil slave described by Jesus. We would call them apostates, whether they were of the anointed or of the “great crowd.” (Rev. 7:9) But such ones do not make up an evil slave class. Jesus did not say that he would appoint an evil slave . His words here are actually a warning directed to the faithful and discreet slave .

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2013533?q=evil+slave&p=par

• AnneB
    AnneB

Give 'em enough rope...

• Ding
    Ding

Regarding the article Sloppyjoe2 posted, how would JWs know if the FDS had become the evil slave class?

Wouldn't that require (gasp) critical and independent thinking?

• stillin
    stillin

Simon! You like living on the edge, don't you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit