Governing Body

by Daym123 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Daym123
    Daym123

Hello,

I am currently in a discussion with a JW about the Governing Body.

I have read alot of articles regarding it, however whenever I bring up what I have read, I am refuted with scripture, such as Acts 15, where they say there was a governing body, who sent out elders and men etc.

Does anyone have a website that I may not know of, that has answers to what they refute with? Or any help here or good thought provoking questions to respond with would be much appreciated.

Thank you Kindly

• freemindfade
  • goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions
    Don't waste your time
    Daym123 ..... you will have better luck talking with a wall!!!!!!!!!!!

• Daym123
    Daym123
    If someone didn't waste their time with me, i'd still be in their mindset and trapped, and i was once a wall, but a weed broke through and broke it down
  • joe134cd
    joe134cd
    If all else fails then you will get the new light imperfect men answer.
  • tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd

It's not a waste of time. I'd be trapped if not for some questions my brother posed to me. Keep trying.

Ask him why they don't celebrate birthdays or mothers day? (Hint: answer is pagan roots)

Then why do they allow wedding rings, wedding cake, etc that are also rooted in pagan worship?

Questions like this are what started to open my mind. Definitely look at jwfacts.com. There are some good ideas there. Just don't tell him where you got the info. He'll shut down if he suspects it came from an "Apostate" website. Try to use things from JW publications or news items like the Candace Conti or Jose Lopez child molestation cases.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I have read alot of articles regarding it, however whenever I bring up what I have read, I am refuted with scripture, such as Acts 15, where they say there was a governing body,

Tell them to show you the words "Governing Body" in the bible..

If they have difficulty,tell them its right beside the words..

..................LIME MARGARITA..

............Image result for Lime margarita

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Welcome DAYM123;

Why not ask 2 questions:

What is the scriptural proof that J.F. Rutherford & Co. were personally chosen by God in 1919?

If you accept that they were selected by God, then who selected the current G.B.? (their superiors at Brooklyn - not by God!)

• TheListener
    TheListener
    Daym, one thing that helped me was learning that Paul and his companions were sent out from Antioch and not Jerusalem. They operated as separate churches for a lot of things. There is good research on the net about the first century christians not being centralized. I also believe, but may be mistaken, that Leolaia (an older poster here) covered this very well a few years ago. If you can find her old posts (or someone elses) you may get the help you need.
  • millie210
    millie210

Here is a current thread that just got started that raises some interesting food for thought.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/306380002/torch

Remember how the Society always said that there were faithful men between the apostles down to now?

They mentioned Wycliffe and others.

This is what most JWs still are thinking but the current G.B. is making a shift away from that. The trend over the last few years has been to downplay Russell as much as they can.

If the downplay him too much they break that "link"

It is looking like they are just bold enough to give that a try!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit