DATELINE SHOW HAD HIGHEST NEILSON RATINGS

by Michael3000 8 Replies latest social current

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

...it won that time slot that night, anyway. I was curious about how many people the show actually reached. Here are the overnight ratings for Tuesday, May 28:

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - With the Lakers vs. Kings NBA Western Conference game packing most of the night's schedule for NBC, the peacock network easily won the Tuesday night ratings battle with a 7.9 rating / 13 share, followed by ABC (6.9/11), ABC (4.6/8), FOX (3.8/6), The WB (3.7/6) and UPN (1.8/3).

NBC also won the top spot among adults 18-49 with a 4.9 rating, followed by ABC (3.0), FOX (2.8) and CBS (2.7).

At 8 p.m., "Dateline NBC" won the timeslot with a 9.2/16, followed by CBS' "JAG" (6.3/11), FOX's "That '70s Show" (4.4/8) and "Andy Richter Controls the Universe" (3.5/6), "Mole II: The Next Betrayal" (4.0/7) on ABC, "Gilmore Girls" (3.7/6) on The WB and "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (2.0/3) on UPN.

Those are pretty good numbers for a Tuesday night! I have to look into how the numbers translate into actual TV sets tuned to Dateline, unless someone knows how TV ratings work. More later.

• Bodhisattva
    Bodhisattva

That should mean 16 million homes, which is nearly twice its good finish a week before.

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

Thanks, Bodhisattva.

Here is a link to the Neilson web site's FAQ page concerning the interpretation of those numbers.

http://www.nielsenmedia.com/FAQ/index.html

Both rating numbers are percentages of different things, like market share vs. market size, or something.

• noidea
    noidea

Michael..
    Thanks for posting this.
    AWESOME

~~~Noi~~~

Member of the: I have ~No-Idea~ class.

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

A "16 share" means that 16% of all TV's in America were tuned in. I think?

I have to ask my fiancee about this, since she worked for ABC for 20 years.

• belbab
    belbab

There was a Dateline program two or three weeks before that dealt with the Catholic child abuse. Many on the board thought it was a prelude, warming up for Dateline, JW molestation program. Could any of you knowledgeable ones look up the ratings for that program and compare it with JW dateline program.?

Interested peeps would like to know.

belbab

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

Aha! I am beginning to see the light...from the Neilson site:

What is a rating and a share?

The terms rating and share are basic to the television industry. Both are percentages. A rating is a percent of the universe that is being measured, most commonly discussed as a percent of all television households. As such, a rating is always quantifiable, assuming you know the size of the universe (TV households, persons, women 18 – 34, and so forth). A share is the percent of households or persons using television at the time the program is airing and who are watching a particular program. Thus, a share does not immediately tie back to an actual number, because it is a percent of a constantly changing number – TV sets in use. Shares can be useful as a gauge of competitive standing.
    So, 9.2% of ALL TV's in America were turned on (in use). Of those 9.2%, 16% were tuned specifically to Dateline from 8:00 to 9:00pm.

Thanks, Honey!

• Makena1
    Makena1

Interesting statistics!

Doesn't Dateline in subsequent shows sometimes have emails or follow up info to prior shows? I would think the segment we saw last Tuesday would generate a lot of feedback.

Mak

Some men worship rank, some worship heroes, some worship power, some worship God, & over these ideals they dispute & cannot unite--but they all worship money.
    - Mark Twain

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

MAKENA1

Yes, you can e-mail them yourself, if you'd like:

[email protected]

I'm sure they are getting quite a bit of feedback!

BELBAB:

I'll try to check on those other ratings. I think the same site where I got mine may have it. (See my first post in this thread for the addy)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit