New Zealand's best product, takes a few drops of p*ss out of Dolly Parton

by fulltimestudent 5 Replies latest social current

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Being a bit focussed on keeping up with what the comrades are doing in China, I've been missing out what the Topp twins are doing in New Zealand. Well actually, I was checking a serious essay in a quite serious Chinese journal, and suddenly there's a reference to the Topp twins. I did a double take, but then realised that we live in a connected world and you can no longer confine knowledge to any geographical site.

So meet my new discovery, New Zealands own- the Topp twins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzC9LnDVZ2s

• fulltimestudent
  • fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

And, if you'd like to know more about them, here's a mention in the NZ government's Encyclopedia:

link: http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/photograph/30883/topp-twins-and-their-partners-2009

Topp Twins and their partners, 2009

Topp Twins and their partners, 2009

Lynda and Jools Topp were out as lesbians when they began their careers as entertainers in the early 1980s. The country-and-western comedy duo, now middle-aged, appeared with their partners at the premiere of the movie The Topp Twins: untouchable girls at the Sky City Centre in Auckland, in April 2009. Donna Luxton and Lynda Topp (left image) had been together for four years and lived in South Canterbury with Luxton's two sons. Jools Topp and Mary Massara (right) had a lifestyle block in West Auckland and had been partners for 16 years.

About this item

New Zealand Herald
    Reference: 060409HOSNMTOPP15.JPG; 060409HOSNMTOPP07.JPG
    Photograph by Norrie Montgomery

• steve2
    steve2

The Topp Twins are virtually a New Zealand institution: Lesbian twins whose brother (not an entertainer at all) is gay. They love to tell the story that when their mother realized her daughters and son were homosexuals declared, "Don't blame me!"

As testimony to New Zealand's very pluralistic and accepting approach to life, the Topp Twins have been heartily embraced by the public. They have a very bold entertainment style, with lots of down-home humour. They are no more offensive than a cuddly soft toy and to see them perform is wonderful.

• smiddy
    smiddy

They sound like a very good show to watch , when are they going to tour australia ?

smiddy

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

The Topp twins are admirable good singers and all, deserving of credit, however, to compare them to Dolly Parton in any fashion is unfair to them. There's no way to put this delicately. Dolly Parton's claim on fame mostly rests on her being top heavy, something the Topp twins simply do not measure up to in that manner.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit