"Son of God", "Son of Man"

by Doug Mason 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

fulltimestudent,

Boyarin’s book “The Jewish Gospels: The Story of the Jewish Christ” poses challenges and each needs to be tested.

His dominant themes, as far as I can make out, are that the term “Son of God” comes from the anointing (Messiah/Christ) of King David, whereas the term “Son of Man” derives from the divine figure at Daniel 7. For Boyarin, therefore, “Son of God” refers to Jesus’ humanity whereas “Son of Man” refers to his perceived divinity.

He correctly writes: “Oceans of ink and forests of trees have given their substance so that humans could continue to argue about where the term ‘Son of Man’ came from and what it means”. And Boyarin’s is an added voice.

I am not saying whether I am necessarily in agreement with him or not; I need to examine every instance where these expressions are employed by NT writers and come to my own conclusion. Comments by his supporters and critics will also need to be studied. His ideas need to be seriously examined.

I am interested to know what your research reveals, remembering that as you seek opinions, that people are prone to defend their previous conclusions.

I produced a bullet-point summary Chapter 1 of Boyarin’s book for myself. You are most welcome to it; I provide my email address in my studies.

Doug

• NCC-1701
    NCC-1701

Hi Doug

A couple of years back I did a little research on "Son of God, Son of Man" as used in the NT. I listed all the occurrences and color coded them as to who was using the term.

I can forward it to you if you would like. It's not an in depth study, it was a preliminary look and something I could refer to.

PM me if you want and I can send it to your email address.

PS. I have read much of your research papers and I have found them all to be excellent and informative.

NCC-1701

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Hi NCC-1701,

Thank you!

I have sent you a pm. Rest assured I shall not pester you with emails nor will I disclose your email address.

Doug

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Doug Mason: fulltimestudent,

Boyarin’s book “The Jewish Gospels: The Story of the Jewish Christ” poses challenges and each needs to be tested.

I agree, Doug. And I'll comment further on that in a moment.

My first thought was, Who is this guy, what is his standing in scholarly circles? In the foreword to the book we are discussing, another scholar, Jack Miles tells that a 'prominent, conservative rabbi," thought that Boyarin 'may' be the greatest rabbinic scholar in the world. That opinion sent me scurrying to google to search Jack Miles. Who is he? He turns out to have something of an academic record also.

Reference: http://www.faculty.uci.edu/profile.cfm?faculty_id=5508

Of course, that may not mean much, but at this moment, I have not spent much time researching Judaism, so for a little while scholarly reputations are of some importance.

And what of Boyarin? His University of California bio is at: http://nes.berkeley.edu/Web_Boyarin/BoyarinHomePage.html

Education: Professor Boyarin began his education at Goddard College and received his Masters of Hebrew Literature at the Jewish Theological Seminary. His Education continued with a Masters of Semitic Languages at Columbia University where he did his thesis on The Babylonian Aramaic Verb According to Codex Hamburg. He was awarded with a Doctorate Degree in 1975 from the Jewish Theological Seminary of America upon completion of his dissertation on A Critical Edition of the Babylonian Talmud, Tractate Nazir.

Present Appointment: Hermann P. and Sophia Taubman Professor of Talmudic Culture, Departments of Near Eastern Studies and Rhetoric, University of California at Berkeley, Affiliated Member Department of Women's Studies, Member of core faculty in the minor in Gay and Lesbian Studies and of the graduate group in Ancient History and Mediterranean Archaeology, and the designated emphasis in Women, Sexuality, Gender Studies, as well as the core faculty of the Center for the Study of Sexual Culture.

Some interestingaspects to his Berkeley appointment in Gender studies. An interesting range of studies.

There is more detail at:

http://nes.berkeley.edu/Web_Boyarin/boyarin_cv.html#publications

including his publications.

And again, its not so much what the man is, but how he can arrange his arguments that matters. But his background gives some reason for confidence in spending time on his thougts

--------------------------------------------------------

You further posted:

fulltimestudent,

His dominant themes, as far as I can make out, are that the term “Son of God” comes from the anointing (Messiah/Christ) of King David, whereas the term “Son of Man” derives from the divine figure at Daniel 7. For Boyarin, therefore, “Son of God” refers to Jesus’ humanity whereas “Son of Man” refers to his perceived divinity.

Agreement again, but my interest was sparked by the thought that second temple Judaism may not have been as monotheistic as I/we have thought. Here, in his discussion of Daniel Ch. 7, I agree with Boyarin that this is prima fascie evidence that some/someone in the Judaism of the time had thoughts of 'God' being more than one, or at least two gods, (need to look at that further). So why? Was it more Greek tradition intermixing with Jewish tradition?

There are at present a helter-skelter of ideas in my mind. We know that Greek philosophy was moving to a concept of a 'chief God, and we have sudden appearances of a monotheistic outlook at earlier times (thinking of Aten). Iranian Zoroastrianism was also monotheistic and some Indian thought may have been.

So when anyone says the first followers of Jesus were monotheistic, were they really understanding what we understand as monotheism? Did that vision of Daniel ch. 7, have something to do with the way the first followers of Jesus conceived of Jesus?

After all that, I think you will understand that it may be some months before I can make a sensible responce to Boyarin's arguments. (Not least, because the academics that I talk to will be scattered far and wide for (our) summer holidays. University does not resume until last week of February.

Thank you again for bring his book to our attention.

PS: I will contact you shortly to obtain your kind offer of a summary.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

fulltimestudent,

When you read the OT, you are reading the views of only one voice, the priestly Yahwists who were determined to have all worship centralised at their location, Jerusalem. You are reading their propaganda.

The fact is that other sectors of the Hebrew community were not monotheists, which is the reason for the complaints and assertions that needed to be made by the Yahwists. For example, when the general Hebrew populace (typified through the power group known as the People of the Land) accepted YHWH, they assigned EL's wife Asherah to him. And they worshiped both YHWH and Asherah together. Consider the references to her in the OT.

It is, of course, more complex than can be described here, but EL was the supreme God in charge of the elohim comprising 70 Gods. YHWH was a minor, warlike, angry god, in contrast to nature of EL. Gradually, the Hebrews (the hill-dwelling Canaanite tribes) took on YHWH from their neighbours. Other gods, such as Baal, figure in the mix (consider the bull at Sinai), but as I indicate, you need to study books that are devoted to the subject. I have listed some of these books on recent threads (exactly which, I do not recall, but not so long ago).

Doug

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit