Isnt the media attention especially TV way over the top ? in covering the seige in sydney or is it all about ratings .Entertainment ?

by smiddy 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• smiddy
    smiddy

Dont get me wrong , what took place was appalling and certainly needed to be covered by the media , whether by radio TV or newspaper articles by journalists

This was one lone man holding seventeen hostages for about 17 hours , traumatic ,frightening to say the least for the victims who were put through this ordeal , and sadly their were fatalities of hostages . My heart goes out to those who suffered and endured this seige and especially those who lost loved ones .

My concern is mainly with the TV coverage , newspapers you get usually only once a day , and in a case like this maybe twice.

Here in victoria , we have 4 ? main TV channels in melbourne with their counterparts in regional victoria , and since this news story broke yesterday , the 4 main TV channels have continously gone over ,and over, and over, the very same news items that were presented at the outset of this newsbreak with few exceptions.And it is still dominating the newscasts as I speak nearly 40 hours after the seige.

This is continual coverage of this eventby the main TV stations in melbourne victoria , I would imagine the same is taking place in sydney, brisbane ,adelaide ,perth ,darwin and hobart ,

This is one man one gun bringing a nation to a standstill , imagine if six of them co-ordinate the same thing in the six state capitol cities of australia ,what a disaster that would be if one man can do this.

What culpability do the media have for formenting this media frenzy exploiting this sensationalist aspect of this crime hashing it and re-hashing it over and over again .

This guy wanted media attention for what he was doing , the media gave him far more than what he could have hoped for.

I would appreciate your comments on what I have voiced.

smiddy

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I tjink people like me want to know whats happening there is not much big news in Australia except footy! I think the terrorist was denied the coverage he wanted and was not allowed to speak to the prime minister.....I remember Waco they allowed Koresh to go on TV and radio with his garbage which is not a good move.

• zeb
    zeb

My deepest condolences to the families who have lost a loved one.

The last time the commercial media had such a feeding frenzy was after the Port Arthur massacre in 1996. They could not get a fact right and the story went on and on .

Its the same with this situation. I am grateful the man is deceased because if he had survived to stand trial the media would have given him and his crimes a never ending story and all the free publicity he could have ever wanted and thereby encouraged others of the same mentality.

My respect and empathy to the Police of New South Wales as well who have gone through hours of intense stress with the possibilty of PTSD.

My highest regards to the Coffee shop manager who died trying to disarm the criminal.

For the plainest non hysterical coverage go to the ABC.net.au Australias public broadcaster.

• jemba
    jemba

I agree Smiddy, all you could see on TV was coverage of the siege.

While we all feel deeply for all involved it was great coverage for this terrorist idiot and his cronies. I just hope that they were able to somehow stop internet and TV getting into the building for him to see himself becoming infamous for striking fear into the hearts of Australians.

So glad the man is dead. I hope his 40 virgins turn out to be big, horny, ugly men with giant penises!! (assuming he is straight, if gay hoping its big hairy women with sharp teeth for vaginas)

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The media now days sure is expansive with so many News station broadcasting on the net now and can do so live.

I can see some good things form this and maybe a little bit of bad as well.

The live broadcast of the siege for example must have been terrible thing to watch for family members who

knew their loved ones were in that Store/Café and as it was pointed out the Terrorist watched the event himself by using an IPad.

What drew so much attention for this particular event was the fact that it occurred in a major modern city by a Muslim terrorist.

As far as this terrorist broadcasting his claims, well that didn't work out as well as he thought, the only attention he ended up creating

was that if you take hostages in a modern populated city your going to get killed.

Sadly two hostages were killed in the end which I assume there's going to be a long and thorough investigation.

• Honesty
    Honesty

It is still all over the local TV news channels this morning.

Way too much coverage.

It would be a more effective deterrent for the media to show video of what happens to religious nuts who commit terrorist acts against society.

A 30 minute video showing the asshole being loaded into a body bag and transported to the morgue might cause other idiots to pause and think.

• pcop
    pcop

You are so right, sir.

Media coverage in the United States is not news, it is largely tabloid.

Britney Spears, Justin Bieber, Beyonce and the like get more air time than what matters in the world.

Distracting "unreality" programs and "dancing with the stars-type programming" that keep many from the real world bombard us so much that many of us become addicted to them.

No longer is news reported as unadulterated; it is digested and regurgitated for us. News anchor persons no longer report the news so that we can weigh, decide and conclude - no - THEY tell us what to think and dare us to disagree with them. Foxnews is notorious for this.

I watch very little news programming that issues out of the United States. I find international news organizations outside of the USA more "real-world" and focused.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit