Religion’s ‘helping’ hand in poverty.

by Gratefullyunstuck 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gratefullyunstuck
    Gratefullyunstuck

Something I picked up and thought would sit nicely on here. Strangely, guess which organisation boast about their growth In these countries, you can imagine on the ministry, fat western pioneer 'can you imagine a life without hunger and suffering?' Joke! Sorry about transfer size of picture!

Religion’s ‘helping’ hand in poverty. 433

It’s no secret that the predominant religious institutions are some of the wealthiest bodies in our world today. Yet even among all of the collections of gold and assets, their high-stakes morals, and their claim to be the world’s path to salvation, the religious institutions have failed to help solve the poverty pandemic worldwide. This is something they surely have the finances to, at the very least, drastically reduce.

Ironically enough, many of the developing nations of people are enveloped in the lure of organized religion, following the teachings ever so diligently without drawing a connection to the fact that these religious institutions have the means to help, but simply are not.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

these religious institutions have the means to help, but simply are not.

Let's check the evidence for that accusation:

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

Exhibit C.

Case closed!

• jhine
    jhine

Gl , I am not sure of your point here . I cannot tell if you are showing that churches do help the poor or knocking their efforts . Certainly most of the work done to end poverty and enable people to provide for themselves not just be reliant on charity all the time is done by people of faith .

Jan

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Witnesses believe these hungry folks can eat to their fill in Paradise so "feed a man bread for a day and he will still be hungry tommorow...give him a bible study and he will live forever in Paradise."....even if he starves to death.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I know it is true that many religions could do a lot more, but nearly all religions, except JW's, do something.

And let's not forget that those terrible, godless people who can have no moral compass, Atheistic Humanists etc, also do much for peoples overseas.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

The real solution to poverty is:

• reducing the population to the carrying capacity of the land + technology + resources.
    • implementing equality laws that provide eqal rights to all people whether they be make or female, rich or poor.
    • a free market where all have equal barriers to trade and equal opportunities to overcome those barriers (i.e. access to loans, technology and intellectual capacity.)

In all aspects Abrahamic religions have consistently worked in the completely opposite direction from fighting against family planning through to anti equality and unfair market conditions (e.g. taxation laws.)

It was never about charity - a charitable institution is only required when the system is fundamentally broken and is failing to allow people the chance to work themselves out of poverty.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Many religions (particularly conservative ones) are businesses first and foremost (whether they admit it or not).

When I'm in a cynical mood, I find myself suspecting that deep down inside, the really business-like ones are terrified of the possibility that the poor will mooch off all that charity and then just bugger off without converting...

...all that "ministry" work will have been for nothing (i.e. little-to-no return on the investment).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit