JW Broadband???

by Gladring 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gladring
    Gladring

The congregation my parents belong to (they live in Ireland) has been having a massive refurbishment recently. Apparently the congregation wanted to spend about 20k Euro, but the society pushed for spending 100k Euro "so that they won't have to do it again in 10 years time".

Anyway, my dad was talking about changing his broadband provider, and he mentioned that he was going to wait, because some brothers came to his house with an aerial and they can receive the kingdom hall's new broadband. He's only about a mile from the hall.

It seems to be the way all the halls are going, to accomodate the download of literature and meeting linkups etc., and they are all buying new tablets for the meetings and field service.

But is this broadband thing - are they turning into an internet provider to censor the JW's searches, or am I overly paranoid?

Also, there seems to be a large ongoing programme of renovations for all of the halls in Ireland.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Overly paranoid... for now. What you wrote seems to be more of a personal cost savings measure. Although, I'm not sure how your father will get broadband from the KH a mile away unless they install some beefy signal extenders and there's decent line of sight. Signal extenders are relatively inexpensive. There is the question of ethics here, though. Should your father be leeching off the KH's broadband that other people are paying for (through their donations)?

• Gladring
    Gladring

Well he did.Say that if he got it "from the brothers" it would only cost him 10 Euro a month.

Now my dad doesn't have the best grasp on technology, but what I've described is as close to his own words as I can.

Also, cable based broadband isn't always available, so sometimes broadband via a cellphone carrier or satellite is used. That said, I'm not sure how they'll "beam" it to his place.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Well, good for him. At least he's paying something. The KH will likely install a signal extender (just do a Google search for "extend wifi signal a mile") which may reach that far or farther.

I wouldn't impute any bad motives on the part of anyone at your father's KH. In their mind, they're probably thinking it's a kindness to extend him the lower-rate connectivity.

It is a local thing, though. This certainly isn't encouraged by the organization (at this particular time, anyway.)

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

It seems that most halls around the world are now setting up an internet connection.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

Should your father be leeching off the KH's broadband that other people are paying for (through their donations)?

Well he did.Say that if he got it "from the brothers" it would only cost him 10 Euro a month.

Plot twist, Looks like the KH is selling access to the broadband that other people are paying for....

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Hope he doesn't plan on downloading anything questionable!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit