If you are pondering leaving....

by snare&racket 5 Replies latest jw friends

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Wiser men have lived and died than those ignorant dictators of Brooklyn, for those that are pondering the courage required to cease the so called life as subjects to their whim, consider the words of someone far more inspirational than self appointed men hiding from real life dictating to millions how to live...

Out of the night that covers me, Black as the pit from pole to pole, I thank whatever gods may be For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears Looms but the Horror of the shade, And yet the menace of the years Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll, I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I used to love that poem. Still like it, in fact.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Hortensia - "I used to love that poem. Still like it, in fact."

No shame in that.

I'm pretty much agnostic at this point, but I still really like the one about the Lord's footprints on the beach.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Atheist, but the sentiment is so powerful. You alone are the captain of your destiny, nobody else to thank or blame......

We get one life, it doesn't last long, as soon as you realise the JW's are no different to all the other snake oil sellers IT IS UP TO YOU so captain your life away....

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

The poem is by William Ernest Henley (1849–1903).

Although it is commonly known as Invictus, this is not a title he gave it, but was added by a later editor when included in a compliation of English verse.

• likeabird
    likeabird

Discovering that you really can be the captain of your life is one of life's greatest discoveries.

Being the captain of your life can lead to your greatest acheivements.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit