JWs Social Media and Alcohol

by jw07 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jw07
    jw07

A great part of social media's allure is that it makes some persons less conscious about revealing what interests them. I've noticed an interesting trend in how JWs (that I know) express their use of alcohol.

I have around 600 associates on on Facebook, and just over 100 on Instagram. Of that amount around 1/3 are JWs, but I realise that they make the most posts about alcohol, and have the longest chain of comments on those posts. It's very strange, there are never any comments discouraging drinking or being an alcohol exhibitionist, instead there is a celebratory attitude. I've also seen many of them repeatedly post:

1 Timothy 5: 23 "Do not drink water any longer, but take a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent cases of sickness."

It's so strange, it's like alcohol is the only guilty pleasure they can openly get away with in their child-like Watchtower induced state.

My non-jw contacts hardly post about alcohol at all. It's like 1 non-jw post about drinking to 50 JW posts.

Have you made any similar observations?

• gda
    gda

Yes

I have made that observation with my calua and coffee.

• GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

In our old cong alcohol was all they lived for. And not just young ones up to 30 odd. Even the po served a glass of wine or two after the book study. Every event there would be alcohol either smuggled in or bought at the venue. Something simple like the cinema turned into a 'drink what you brought ' event.

I personally think that most JWs can not get through normal life without drinking. It would always amaze us that elders and their kids would be drunk at open air concerts, and nothing would be said of it at the next meeting. One elder got so drunk at an open air rendition of Macbeth, he threw an apple at the cast on stage and started to heckle them. Again, at the meeting, nothing was said. He even said the opening prayer. No one batted an eyelid!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit