Want to share your thoughts on JWs?

by punkofnice 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

• Name/Pseudonym: Sail Away

• Were/are you a JW? (Pick one): Yes, I was a JW.

• How were/are you associated with JWs:

Other (Please state): My father accepted a family study when I was nine years old. By age 10 I became an unbaptized publisher. My entire family stopped studying with the witnesses within two years, but I stayed in and was baptized at age 16 in 1975 with my father’s permission.

• How long were you a JW? (If applicable): 42 years

• What drew you to the JWs? The witnesses target vulnerable, idealistic people. I was drawn in by their promise of a happy family life. My mother was/is mentally ill and my father was an alcoholic and serial cheater who couldn’t keep a job. We were at times homeless.

• What do/did you enjoy about being a JW? I thought I was pleasing God.

• What is your best/fondest memory? Working in food service during assemblies and conventions gave me a sense of belonging and made me feel needed.

• What is your funniest memory?

One day out in the field ministry a much-loved elder/pioneer came back to the car stammering, wide-eyed and speechless. A man was out mowing the lawn, and his wife jumped out from behind a bush to surprise him wearing only a raincoat. She opened the raincoat for the elder thinking he was her hubby. The elder’s wife (also a pioneer) was in the car group, and she laughed hysterically. The elder did not say another word for the rest of the morning.

• If alive in 1975 as a JW, do you remember it? What are you memories as a JW?

I remember reading in the Watchtower that I would never be old enough to graduate from college, get married or have children before Armageddon came. I remember the increased pressure and talks from the platform to do more in the ministry, as the time was short and so many lives were at stake. There were articles in the Watchtower magazine about the 6,000 years of mankind’s existence which helped mark the year 1975. I gave up a college scholarship to pioneer where the need was great out of high school, as higher education was forbidden. I remember the articles afterward about not serving with a date in view and how some were overzealous. I remember people who went into debt by spending money they didn’t have, because they thought they wouldn’t have to pay back the loans when Armageddon came. Mostly I remember nightmares about my family being destroyed at Armageddon and being raped and tortured in a concentration camp for being loyal to Jehovah.

• Can you think of anything positive or good to say about the watchtower organization?

It served as my substitute family during my pre-teen and teen years and added structure to my life, perhaps saving me from alcoholism and drug addiction which was the path most of my siblings took.

• Do you believe the JWs have the ‘truth’? Absolutely not

• Would you recommend being a JW and why do you answer thus?

I would in no way recommend becoming a JW. The organization is a destructive high control group (cult) that destroys human potential by forbidding higher education, destroys families by its disfellowshipping doctrine and mandatory shunning, puts lives at risk due to the ban on blood transfusions and protects pedophiles by implementing the “two-witness rule” and treating child molestation as a sin to be handled by the congregation elders rather than a crime that needs to be reported to and handled by the proper authorities. The organization lies to its members and prints revisionist history to cover its tracks.

• Please tell us what you want us to know about being a JW.

I suffered a life time of severe clinical depression, generalized anxiety disorder and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder as a JW in large part due to the doctrines, beliefs and practices of the organization. Cognitive dissonance nearly killed me. Mishandling of a personal crisis in my son’s life by the elders nearly killed him. He is now disfellowshipped, and I was expected to shun him. That just wasn’t going to happen.

I have been out for nearly four years now and am medication free and happy. The organization interferes in marriages and family lives with all of its rules and heavy demands on time and resources. It isolates people with the Us vs.Them mentality that “worldly people” (including non-believing family members) are under Satan’s control and wicked. My immediate family is all out of the organization, and we have mended the rifts caused by the organization. My in-laws are still in and have continued to shun their only son, my husband, for over 30 years. They now shun me and our children as well and have no interest in getting to know their first great grandchild—all because we left the organization.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
      • Name/Pseudonym: Village Idiot
      • Were/are you a JW? Pick one.

Yes I was.

No longer.

Other (please state)

• How were/are you associated with JWs

Born in Thank goodness no.

Interested, Yes.

Studying

Unbaptised Baptized in 1974.

Joined from personal choice Yeap, that’s me.

Via friend/s

Other (Please state)

• How long were you a JW? (If applicable) 8 years.
      • What drew you to the JWs?

All it took was a tract on the door. I was 13 and naïve and had an interest in religion. I thought I was discovering the secrets of the Universe.

• What do/did you enjoy about being a JW?

The so-called "knowledge" I was taking in. I remember devouring any book I could get my hands on new or old. I even remember the smell of those books.

• What is your best/fondest memory?

Picnics, playing volleyball, just socializing.

• What is your funniest memory?

I was in school and during recess I went to a room in the library where a sister that I had a crush on was having a study. As soon as I came in she said, “Oh I must put a head covering on” and she lifted her sweater up to her head as an improvised covering.

On another occasion I was out in field service with a sister (the one I had a crush on) on a very hot day. Someone had the sprinklers on and she, dressed in a skirt, walked right over it with a smile on her face.

My most interesting moment was when I and some others went out in field service in an isolated part of town. There was this dead goat hanging upside down from a tree with its throat slit. A little girl, about 5, was yanking the horns back and forth apparently bleeding the animal.

The sister besides me said she was going to throw up but never did. I tried to witness to the people there – they were Spanish speaking – but they kept saying they couldn’t understand even though I was speaking in Spanish. Good for them.

• If alive in 1975 as a JW, do you remember it? What are you memories as a JW?

Yes, definitely. I attended a special talk by Frederick Franz, who was then vice president of the society. It was at the Inglewood Public Forum in Los Angeles. The stadium was packed, may be 20,000 since there were chairs on the court. I remember having a tape recorder on my lap taping the talk. I wish I had that cassette now.

Franz gave a longwinded talk which started from creation all the way to the Millennium. In essence he said that the Great Tribulation would start either in 1975 or a few months or years thereafter but not decades.

That calculation centered around the “Adam and Eve gap", a period of time between the creation of Adam and Eve which could have been years or decades according to their chronological calculations (keep in mind the “creative days were 7,000 years long).

Franz then bizarrely stated that if the Adam and Eve gap were to be decades Adam would have been tempted into bestiality for lack of a mate. I remember him saying “Would Jehovah allow that? No, brothers and sisters.”

• Can you think of anything positive or good to say about the watchtower organisation?

Whatever small good they may have is completely tainted by their evil.

• Do you believe the JWs have the ‘truth’?
    Yes

No, absolutely not. Not even close.

Partially*

Other

· * If ‘partially’, which ‘truth/s’ do the JWs have?

· (This is your platform to spill the beans. Go for it!)

• Would you recommend being a JW and why do you answer thus

Are you joking? I'd rather die than to live a living death. There is nothing that religion has to offer.

• Please tell us what you want us to know about being a JW.

Nothing but grief. If you're reading this and you're new to the Witnesses please, PLEASE run away as fast as you can!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Thanks VI, that's fantastic.

It's great to see these responses in one hit.

Thanks again folks.

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind

• Name/Pseudonym: Reopened Mind

• Were/are you a JW? Pick one.

Yes I was a JW

No

Other (please state)

• How were/are you associated with JWs

Born in

Interested

Studying

Unbaptised

Joined from personal choice

Via friend/s I began studying with two girls in school when I was 14/15 years old. That was in the 60s when the "Truth" book had come out. There was the pressure to get baptized after six months of study. But because I was a minor living at home with parents who didn't like JWs they agreed to keep me as a study. I left home and was baptized at 20.

Other (Please state)

• How long were you a JW? (If applicable) 38 years

• What drew you to the JWs? Believe it or not that they would change their doctrines. At the time I thought that was because as they realized something was wrong they would correct it. They also projected themselves as one big happy family. Living in a paradise earth with no death, disease, war, or other problems appealed to my idealistic teenage self.

• What do/did you enjoy about being a JW? I enjoyed meeting in small groups for the book study. Afterward we would celebrate couple's anniversaries. So as not to leave out singles and children we would have a special celebration for them too. I enjoyed visiting other congregations when my husband would give the Sunday talk.

• What is your best/fondest memory? For several summers we took our boys camping in the north Georgia mountains. We had time off from our JW routine and were able to bond more as a family. I know that was the only time my elder husband was able to truly relax. We never went to local meetings during our vacation as the WT suggested.

• What is your funniest memory? When a brother gave a tongue lashing to the congregation for not studying the lesson until someone informed him had done the wrong one.

• If alive in 1975 as a JW, do you remember it? What are you memories as a JW? I married in 1974 so I would have someone to go through Armageddon with.

• Can you think of anything positive or good to say about the watchtower organisation? It gives people structure in their lives who cannot think for themselves.

• Do you believe the JWs have the ‘truth’? no

Yes

No

Partially*

Other

* If ‘partially’, which ‘truth/s’ do the JWs have?

(This is your platform to spill the beans. Go for it!),

• Would you recommend being a JW and why do you answer thus?

• Please tell us what you want us to know about being a JW
    • If you want an organization to intrude into every aspect of your life, then being a JW is for you. But if you want to make your own decisions and be free create your own life, then stay as far away from this cult.
  • minimus
    minimus
    This religion is like many others.. There is some good and plenty bad. To me, it's a silly religion. If you have half a brain, it's easy to see all the bs. I know many Witnesses that are wonderful people in spite of being in the cult.
  • GodZoo
    GodZoo

JW Interview.

By submitting/completing this form you agree to giving 1st rights to the author Paul G Jackson.

• Name/Pseudonym: GodZoo
    • Were/are you a JW? Pick one. Yes
    • How were/are you associated with JWs: Other: Youthful convert/baptised/Currently Fading - Missing in Action
    • How long were you a JW? (If applicable) 32 years
    • What drew you to the JWs?: Lonely lost youth looking for answers to life.. They seemed to have many.. I got indoctrinated.
    • What do/did you enjoy about being a JW? - Having a sense of order and structure and meaning in my life.
    • What is your best/fondest memory? - Falling in love a few times with sisters..
    • What is your funniest memory? - A very zealous and spiritual potential C.O brother fell in love with me and as such realised he was gay.
    • If alive in 1975 as a JW, do you remember it? What are you memories as a JW?: Was not around then.
    • Can you think of anything positive or good to say about the watchtower organisation?: Not any more.
    • Do you believe the JWs have the ‘truth’: No, impossible

(This is your platform to spill the beans. Go for it!) - Maybe later.

• Would you recommend being a JW and why do you answer thus? - No I would not recommend anyone getting into this religion, as it is simply not the truth plus all the reasons others have so eloquently listed.
    • Please tell us what you want us to know about being a JW. - Don’t Do It!
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

Thanks RoM. I am finding these all really interesting.

Minimus - I agree. I was a good bloke despite being totally 'mind cleansed(tm)'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit