do jws even read and absorb mathew ch 5 and 6 ?

by sowhatnow 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

i mean its says RIGHT IN THERE not to pray in public, or babble on, How many 10 minuet long babbling prayers have you endured ??

where in the bible does it tell us anyone prayed for a large group of people publicly, or even in front of the family at their homes?

it says in vs 14 to be forgiving, how can disfellowshipping someone be forgiving? how can shunning be forgiving???

jesus Never spoke of disfellowshipping did he??

and to lend when asked, how many people do you know would even think of asking the elders to lend them some money from the congregation savings account for an emergency auto repair? or a set of new tires or food? no one I know.

we are not boast about what you have done [left hand right hand] but what in the world do they think going on tv is doing???

geeze.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Read and absorb??

Foreign concepts (and essentially useless) to a JW.

• XkhanX
    XkhanX

Reminds me of some brothers who goes on and on and on in prayers.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

This was another funny point made by tight pants tony. Remember he claimed it would be very sad for us parents if our kids could guess what we were about to say in our prayers. The funny thing is that I could guess what he was about to say regarding thights pants. The internet is plastered with videos of him repeating the same phrases at different talks.

• DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

Instead, they will pull a small bit out of a story, and build it into a major teaching and internal government or gb, as they call it.

There are so many things like that, they do, and support with a snippet here and one there!

Dwain

• Londo111
    Londo111

And what about chapter 7: Do not judge.

That was one of the things that I remarked to a JW friend when I was still in. We talk about Daniel and Revelation, but we don't seem to really try to study and obey these basic teachings.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Since it was jesus talking just an angel known as Michael, then its not that important.

• Lightgrowsbrighter
    Lightgrowsbrighter

Your average JW elder would- with their WT training- present to you Matt. 18:15-17 as proof that Jesus condoned DF'ing. They then cleverly cross-reference that to Paul's words in 1 Cor. 5:11 to 'stop keeping company' with such a man. It's useless to debate this with the average rank and file JW (as with every other dogmatic WT teaching). But if someone is open to it, it's clear from the context of Jesus words in Matt. 18 that the entire congregation would simply treat the indivdual 'as a man of the nations'. There is no secret judical committe, public slander/gossip, or even shunning. They would just simply no longer be viewed as part of the congregation. It's easy to make Paul's words in 1 Cor. 5 and 2 John 9,10 look like support for DF'ing. But again, looked at through the loving eyes of Jesus, clearly the legalistic judicial style of the WT is unscriptural and has done much, much more harm than good. JW's are told this keeps the congregation 'clean', but it is primarily a scare tactic and control mechanism. You are right sowhatnow. It would be amazing for the WT leadership to back off this hard line stance and apply the main part of Christianity- LOVE and forgiveness. Unfortunately, they seem to be getting even more harsh....

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Lightgoesbrighter, makes some good points, I would shove the end of Matt 5 down their throats to prove Jesus was not condoning DFing.

• stillin
    stillin

i pondered the same thing about praying before a large group and I came up with Solomon's long prayer when the temple was being dedicated. Also the prayer of Jesus in John 17, but of course, that was Jesus, not some geezer drawing disability checks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit