Dungeons and Dragons, Magic: The Gathering and all the stuff you weren't allowed to play as a JW

by marmot 6 Replies latest social entertainment

• marmot
    marmot

By nature I'm a total geek. I read The Lord of the Rings for the first time in grade 3 and I would probably have had a 20-sided die hung around my neck if it weren't for the silly superstitious restrictions against playing RPGs among JWs. If anything they should encourage role playing games among the youth because it'll keep them virgins forever.

Anyway, I'd like to get into the whole scene as I've never played a game in my life but I'm a bit overwhelmed and I don't know where to start. Anybody on here play? I'm willing to try anything, pen and paper RPGs, mini figurine RPGs, card games, you name it. I've heard that it helps to get into the hobby with a friend but I don't know if my fiancée has the patience for it so I'm gonna try and corrupt my 12-year old nephew. One game that really struck my fancy is relatively new, it's a card game based on the Warhammer 40,000 sci-fi universe called Warhammer 40K: Conquest. Unlike the regular Warhammer tabletop games, you just need the starter card deck to play instead of a bazillion figurines so it's cheap to get into.

Magic: The Gathering is also intriguing but I'm intimidated by the sheer volume of stuff out there.

• Londo111
    Londo111

A few years ago, I joined a small group to play Pathfinder (basically D&D). It was interesting and had some challenges, such as the ADD dungeonmaster losing interest in the story and switching to a new game. Or not having the energy to keep up with people 10-20 years younger than me. At midnight, I want to go to bed! I have to get up for work the next morning.

Back in the day, I had Bard's Tale on my Commodore 64. I figured since it wasn't called D&D I could play it. Eventually I was guilted into getting rid of it. :(

• Spectre
    Spectre

The only game I play is the miniature game of Warhammer 40k. It's fun to build them, fun to paint them and then a fun game to play.

I had a game store for 10 years and have sold a ton of Magic, D&D and a bunch of other games. There's enough out there to pick your poison. I found I prefer the the modelling aspect and 3-D aspect of the tabletop style.

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

Back in the day, I had Bard's Tale on my Commodore 64. I figured since it wasn't called D&D I could play it. Eventually I was guilted into getting rid of it. :(

I loved the Commodore 64 and Bard's Tale. My father wasn't a JW but he banned us from playind D&D because he believed it to be a bad influence.

I stilled played D&D and other games at "wordly" kids house. I had a friend at the kingdom hall whose mother and father would find his D&D books and burn them. He had a job and paid for them but that is the life of a witness child.

I currently play neverwinter online. It is free to play.

• Caedes
    Caedes

40K conquest is a good game, I've bought the base game and I'm looking forward to the expansions. I also play the android netrunner card game. If you aren't playing in tournaments then they are both cheap to get into.

I have also been into Warhammer 40K and have several armies but I would hesitate recommending it these days as it is very expensive for what it is, they seem to be catering mainly to the collector market these days.

There are a number of alternatives to 40K these days, Distopian wars/legions, Warmachine, Malifaux, Infinity and Dreadzone, Dreadzone is one of my favourites. All are cheaper than 40K although warmachine is getting quite pricey.

X-wing miniatures game is good value for money and you get fantastic painted models of tie fighters and x-wings, and it is a great game as well. There are fantastic models of all the smaller Star Wars ships so you can have the the Millenium Falcon up against Boba Fett's Slave One.

Magic the gathering is described even by its fans as cardboard crack so I have never tried it.

A useful site for this sort of stuff is boardgamegeek, I have all my games listed on there (I have over 200! ) and they have detailed descriptions of any game you care to mention.

• marmot
    marmot

Nice! Thanks.

• marmot
    marmot

BTW, did any of you see last week's South Park episode, "C*ck Magic?" I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit