God's Spirit

by Hold Me-Thrill Me 73 Replies latest jw friends

• cappytan
    cappytan
    Have there been mutations which have moved a species forward in evolution?

Yes.

If so, can it be proved?

Yes, by examining the fossil record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIEoO5KdPvg

• cofty
    cofty

HMTM - Evolution is the change in the frequency of alleles in a gene pool over time.

That sentence takes 3 seconds to read but it has taken me 10 years so far to understand the details.

Some mutations are harmful, most are neutral and a few are beneficial.

Natural selection is simply the fact that alleles that build bodies which are better suited to survive and replicate will become more frequent in the gene pool. Being better suited doesn't always mean bigger and stronger. Sometimes it means better at cooperating.

Here are a few books that will give you a useful introduction...

The Greatest Show on Earth - Dawkins

The Selfish Gene - Dawkins

The Blind Watchmaker - Dawkins

Your Inner Fish - Neil Shubin

Why Evolution is True - Jerry Coyne

Life Ascending - Nick Lane

Endless Forms Most Beautiful - Sean B. Carroll

The Making of The Fittest - Sean B. Carroll

Evolution; What the Fossils Say - Donald Prothero

• cofty
    cofty
    Have there been mutations which have moved a species forward in evolution? If so, can it be proved?

I just gave you a classic example, that is how we evolved colour vision.

If you want the details - and I do mean DETAILS - read chapter 4 "Making the New From the Old" in "The Making of the Fittest" by Sean B. Carroll

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake
    Have there been mutations which have moved a species forward in evolution? If so, can it be proved?

Thats not really how evolution works. It's not that there was a mutation that moved anything forward. Evolution doesn't work like X-Men.

The way it actually happens is the world is constantly changing. The climate or environment changes or there is a disaster that strikes. Within a species there are constant mutations, and when these disasters strike or the climate or environment changes somehow, certain of the species around have mutated traits that enable them to survive these things better than the rest. The rest die out because they can't keep up.

The evidence for this is all around us. YOU are evidence.

its not that mutation pushes anyone ahead, rather its that it allows them to stay.

• cappytan
    cappytan

Jonathan Drake: Excellent point!

Loved this sentence especially.

It's not that mutation pushes anyone ahead, rather its that it allows them to stay.
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

It's the imaginary force of an imaginary God.

It's kind of like imaginary numbers, they aren't real.

i^2 = -1

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

viv

Viviane14 hours ago
    what is a process? (your reply may enable clarification for both sides of this argument)

It's a word you should look up.

you are always asking questions of believers and here I ask you (and other interlopers on this thread - myself included I guess) a simple question and you tell me to look it up. So I repeat what do you (and anyone who does not believe in god) think process means?

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

Johnathan Drake -

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

Johnathon drake said

he way it actually happens is the world is constantly changing. The climate or environment changes or there is a disaster that strikes. Within a species there are constant mutations, and when these disasters strike or the climate or environment changes somehow, certain of the species around have mutated traits that enable them to survive these things better than the rest. The rest die out because they can't keep up.

for example climate change supported an agricultural way of life in what is now Europe and other places once the great ice sheets grew again and caused sea levels to fall. I speculate that this is prolly why there are so many flood stories around.

eidt: I honestly don't think such stories are stupid and signs of ignorance

• Viviane
    Viviane
    No I am not

Of course you are, Fisherman. You've not been able to objectively show us there is anything call spirit. Being spiritually blind is the conclusion. You're attempting to skip over the "show it exists" part and simply claim we just can see it. That's assuming the conclusion is true in the premise.

Simply attempting to say blind people can't see red, therefore Jesus because empirical evidence shows that not only do you need to re-take that physics class, but also learn a bit about blind people and what they can do (you wouldn't imagine), learn about how to construct an argument and use critical thinking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit