God's Spirit

by Hold Me-Thrill Me 73 Replies latest jw friends

• cappytan
    cappytan

I could be wrong, and I'm by no means an expert (yet) on evolution. However, I believe that there is no such thing as "new genetic material."

From what I understand, Genes are like switches. They're either turned on or turned off.

Take this with a grain of salt. My understanding could be incorrect as I'm not an expert on the subject.

But I am working on it. Starting my Biology degree this summer!

• Viviane
    Viviane
    In terms of evidence, God's Holy Spirit is what the spiritually blind would see if they were not spiritually blind. Explaining what it is, is like explaining the color red to a person born blind.

But, you can describe the color red to a blind person and describe real real things that produce the color red. You can also describe it in scientific terms. You can't do any of that with holy spirit. Indeed, all you can do is avoid discussing it in a way that would put you on the spot of having to describe it.

To someone that sees, no need to look for an explanation.

That's called willful ignorance.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Any significant deviation, any significant genetic mutation in any of its parts corrupts the whole system.

Well that's just wrong.

Oh, and define "significant". What does that mean in this context?

Science did not give me that. Neither did a blind process called evolution nor its mother abiogenesis.

Actually, evolution did give you that. Science is a process, I've no idea what you expect it to do on it's own.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456
    what is a process? (your reply may enable clarification for both sides of this argument)
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    what is a process? (your reply may enable clarification for both sides of this argument)

It's a word you should look up.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

But, you can describe the color red to a blind person and describe real real things that produce the color red. You can also describe it in scientific terms. You can't do any of that with holy spirit. Indeed, all you can do is avoid discussing it in a way that would put you on the spot of having to describe it.

The spiritually blind (it is a blindness of the mind) are spiritually deaf too. They do not understand.

Back in physics lab, (college physics; I took advanced physics for engineers) to see the the acceleration of gravity constant, we set up a mechanical apparatus that took measurements of a free falling objects (of varying masses) at different intervals. Not only did I look at the experiment, but I also observed, understood and concluded.

God's Holy Spirit is "empirical" evidence of God. People that are not spiritually blind observe this. See Mathew 13:13 English Standard Version

• Viviane
    Viviane
    The spiritually blind (it is a blindness of the mind) are spiritually deaf too. They do not understand.

You're assuming the premise in the conclusion. That's a giant error on your part. You cannot explain spirit, spirituality, what it is, how we can objectively determine if it exists, detect it, etc. You've done nothing but claim it exists and then proceed from there. You've given no reason for anyone to think you done anything.

You have all your work ahead of you.

Not only did I look at the experiment, but I also observed, understood and concluded.

That has nothing to do with this. A blind person could also perform that experiment. I've no idea why you brought that up.

God's Holy Spirit is "empirical" evidence of God

If you can't show or otherwise demonstrate it to me, then it's not empirical in any way, quotation marks or not. You apparently need to re-take that physics class to learn what empirical evidence is.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

You're assuming the premise in the conclusion

No I am not

That's a giant error on your part

No it is not

You cannot explain spirit, spirituality, what it is, how we can objectively determine if it exists, detect it, etc.

I did.

You've done nothing but claim it exists and then proceed from there.

No, that is not what I have done.

You've given no reason for anyone to think you done anything.

Yes I have.

You have all your work ahead of you.

No I have not.

That has nothing to do with this. A blind person could also perform that experiment. I've no idea why you brought that up.

It does. You cannot see.

then it's not empirical in any way

It is. That is what you think

You apparently need to re-take that physics class to learn what empirical evidence is.

Says you and your diploma. LOL

• cofty
    cofty

HMTM - I'm sorry I don't understand your question.

New genetic material is added to genomes through copying errors. Sometimes whole genomes get duplicated.

Our colour vision is a result of duplication and subsequent tuning of genes through natural selection.

You have never read a book on evolution have you?

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

Cofty: New genetic material is added to genomes through copying errors. Sometimes whole genomes get duplicated.

Am I to take it then that man's ability to think and to create as no other animal can is due to "copying errors"? Truly?

Also, what is the difference between mutations and "copying errors"? If you don't mind my asking.

You keep bringing up my reading history. Why not stick to the particulars of the argument? If you believe I am ignorant on some point then bring up the facts which prove my ignorance. And I mean facts not general statements of disagreement.

Trust me, if you bring up facts, real facts, which prove me wrong I will admit to it. I'm not bothered by ego.

Frank

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit