My Favorite Part was

by Grunt 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Grunt
    Grunt

There was a lot to like about the Dateline but I think my favorite part was after they had shown the TAPED interview with ole Junior Brown, and asked for Erica's response. JR's had been long windy, legalistic and insincere. In a gut reaction she shook her head and said one word with real emotion, "liars." I think that summed up how anyone would feel after hearing the tape from the legal department telling Bill not to put himself in a jam over a kid being molested, to walk away from it, and seeing the video of the perverts with their bookbags going door to door.

Liars.

• TheStar
    TheStar

My favorite part was when Dateline asked the society to prove that they are as hard on cracking down on pedophiles as they say they are.

It took them 6 months to reply and when they finally did they could only come up with 2 cases! Count them 2! One of which the pedophile was not a JW!!!

That was just perfect!!!

The recording of Bill calling Bethel for advice on a pedophile issue was priceless too.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The Star, actually, I recall them saying that BOTH cases where someone was turned in were non-JWs.

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Yep, Erica calling them "liars" had me on the floor LMAO.

I think that was a big ass kick in the stones and the stories climax. They (Dateline) built it up well for that one word, "liars", to be soooo efective.

Its those "little" responses that stick in people's minds.

Yes the 6 month one was a killer too and so was Bill's tape and on and on I could go but that word used the way it was awesome.

hawk

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

The old saying, "A picture is worth a thousand words" or video applies here, of the pervert that is still aloud to go house to house banging on doors. I am sure any non Jdub that saw that will give the next Jdub quiet a reception when they knock on their door next time.

Will

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."
    Mark Twain

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Elsewhere,

You are correct

hawk

• Makena1
    Makena1

Powerful segments of the show indeed. I also thought the response from the PO in Othello at the trial was telling:

something like, "If our JC hearings cannot be "guaranteed" to be kept confidential, how could we expect anyone to come to us and confess wrongdoing?"

Doesn't this show again the organization's lack of trust in its members to follow the advice in the scriptures to confess, repent and seek "healing" from the older men in the congregation?

I am all for confidentiality ("sins" such as adulterty, doctrinal disagreements etc) - however, in cases like child molestation, murder, etc., we are talking about societal crimes that impact the public and unsuspecting members of a church who are taught to be trusting of fellow members. These kind of crimes present a true danger and require more than reading a few scriptures, and guessing at repentance.

My 2 cents,

Mak

Some men worship rank, some worship heroes, some worship power, some worship God, & over these ideals they dispute & cannot unite--but they all worship money.
    - Mark Twain

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    however, in cases like child molestation, murder, etc., we are talking about societal crimes that impact the public and unsuspecting members of a church who are taught to be trusting of fellow members. These kind of crimes present a true danger and require more than reading a few scriptures, and guessing at repentance.

So true and it is not good enough that pedophiles are dealt with internally. It is not something that by repenting and allowing these ones to mix with unsuspecting children. Any professional counselor will tell you that it is a sexual preference with these people and no counseling or repentance will help them.

Will

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."
    Mark Twain

• TheStar
    TheStar

Sorry if I've said something in error, I'll have to watch the video again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit