Armageddon in 1975 'probability' or 'possibility'? Irrefutable Proof the Watchtower Said 1975 Was "Game Over!"

by PhilsWager2 65 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• flipper
    flipper

I was a young teenager in 1975 and I remember Circuit Overseers like Floyd Kite coming around giving really fanatical, exciteable talks telling the congregation that in 1974 that " whether or not we will have another assembly in this system of things or not- we don't know- but Jehovah willing we may be having our next district convention in Paradise next year ! " Crazy statements like those kinds of statements whipped up a frenzy of false anticipation within JW's at that time and made people even MORE excited to go out knocking on doors trying to allegedly " save people's lives ". I was one of those young JW's that got whipped into a frenzy at that time as well because my dad was an elder and way back then I bought into the crap- it's what I was raised with.

I remember as a young 15 year old in one month in my summer vacation getting in 102 hours in service one month and placing 212 magazines in one month. I look back now and I think " what a fanatic nutcase I was ! " But I was caught up in the group hysteria that was sweeping through ALL JW's at that time. And we have WT leaders, overzealous C.O.'s and D.O.'s to thank for it. Before the decade of the 1970's was over I was in my late teens spending time trying to date my JW girlfriend and figure how to be alone in back seats of cars with her more than pioneering or going out in service. Went back to getting 10 hours a month in and got married at 19 years old in 1979 ! LOL.

So the old " hysteria " thing only works so long on so many people . As Barnum said, " you can fool some of the people some of the time, but can't fool all of the people all of the time. " Now we finally have our freedom of mind and THAT is what I treasure

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

How come the Watchtower was not spending every single penny in 1972-1974 trying to warn people?

that is a very good point.

i was a pioneer and a servant in the late 60's. back then all the hype was about 1975. but i had quit the cult by 1971. i had no fear or belief in armageddon whatsoever. or god for that matter.

i recall one elder in 1974 trying to get me interested again. but then he told me he had bought a better car on credit because he knew he would never have to pay for it. last i heard of the silly arse he was a circuit servant.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

How come the Watchtower was not spending every single penny in 1972-1974 trying to warn people?

Because it was inherently a marketing scam to heighten attention to the organization and to further the proliferation of the organization's own publications and perhaps to further remove the observation that nothing had happened since 1914 ( This Generation )

• CloseTheDoor
    CloseTheDoor

I remember families selling everything they had, moving and buying everything they could with credit. When it was over, it was disastrous.

Can someone provide an alternative to the download link? http://www.4shared.com/office/N5a3K3qW/armageddon_in_1975.html That site never works for me.

• CloseTheDoor
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

we don't know- but Jehovah willing we may be having our next district convention in Paradise next year ! " Crazy statements like those kinds of statements whipped up a frenzy of false anticipation within JW's at that time and made people even MORE excited to go out knocking on doors trying to allegedly " save people's lives ".

I remember crazy statements like this. I think the whole thing was heightened by the cold war at the time. The old King of the North thing.

The idea that the GB can blame the hysteria of the time on the R&F running ahead of Jehovah, is ridiculous.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

In the WTS self endeavors to proclaim itself god's chosen organization and to proclaim that mankind is living in the last according bible prophecy, the WTS has come up with some weakly devised but notable doctrines such as 1914 and 1975, both were imposable and unscriptural in their presentations.

The excuse for these wrongly proclaimed doctrines have been well we are just imperfect men or we were overly enthusiastic about the return of Christ, theres a long list of excuses the WTS has put forth over the years, as regards to the 1975 doctrine they didn't honestly come clean and say well the 6000 year dating calculation was used previously by Brother Russell 60 years previously.

Whatever the WTS tries to absolve themselves of and all of their false forwarding doctrines is their intent to not disclose that their organization is a commercialized organization of false prophecies orchestrated and influenced by literature proliferation.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

WTBTS president Fred Franz was quite specific about the date (at 0:42 into this recording):

September 5th, 1975

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

GIVEN WTS Bible Chronology:

1975 continues to be a marked year according to WTS chronology. According to said chronology, 1975 still marks the 6000th year from the creation of Adam. The WTS does have a Biblical basis for deriving it's dates, and stands firm on it's position that Adam was created in 4026 BCE, rejecting radioactive Carbon fossil dating. The missing variable is Eve's age. The Bible does not say when she came into the picture. How long was Adam without Eve, 40 years? Also, the 7th day of Genesis did not begin after the creation of Adam and it did not begin after the creation of Eve, but it did begin some time after the creation of Eve. Anyway, assuming the 7th yom of Genesis is 7000 years long, the end of the 6000 years of Adam and Eve's creation, and also the beginning of God's rest (as alluded to by Paul) are still part of the picture or the equation used to extrapolate the beginning of the GT. And so are 1914 and Daniel's image, and other factors. So, although 1975 marked the end of the 6000 years of the creation of Adam (and the WTS still teaches it), remind you that the WTS also taught back then that it would take some more years after 1975 for the GT to strike for the reasons I have stated above.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    Fisherman your whole description in your post sounds like a 1974 special talk outline. I remember at the time people saying "If we only knew when Eve was created?" Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit