Response from JW regarding Dateline

by mpatrick 5 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• mpatrick
    mpatrick

"believe me, you didn't get the whole story on Dateline. I don't know any of the people involved who were interviewed, but some of the things that were said, at least by the reporter, did not ring true. That's just how the entertainment news works, always go for the most sensational.

Also, there was no mention that 77,000 elders didn't report pedophilia. What it said was there were a certain number of elders in the US (I'm not sure about the 77,000 number - I thought it was larger) and that perhaps of those elders a few might have disregarded the Society's instructions.

I certainly feel bad for the girl who was interviewed that she was abused for all those years. But it is NOT policy to disfellowship someone for going to the police about a criminal matter. If some elder told her that it was, he was wrong.

I could also tell they took at least one comment by an elder in the court case out of context which only causes me to doubt more some of the other things Dateline reported.

Do I think pedophilia happens inside the congregation? Of course. Do I think it's a "pedophile paradise?" No way."

• mpatrick
    mpatrick
    I could also tell they took at least one comment by an elder in the court case out of context which only causes me to doubt more some of the other things Dateline reported.

And she knows this HOW?

• Will Power
    Will Power

mp
    your comment about the 77000 elders, How many elders are usually in one congregation?

Will

• mpatrick
    mpatrick

Will Power,

That was a response made to the comment from another individual

over 77,000 elders may not have reported abuse cases?! can any of you imagine how many kids that could be?
  • Quincy
    Quincy

I am suprised at the number of JW's and Elders there are...I thought there were way more than the figure they gave last night....but I do think that there are many elders, as I have said before...that are in that "position" because they are or feel like they are in control....Q

• ThatSucks
    ThatSucks

Oh this is priceless. Here, we have a JW who states:

:: "believe me, you didn't get the whole story on Dateline. I don't know any of the people involved who were interviewed, but some of the things that were said, at least by the reporter, did not ring true. That's just how the entertainment news works, always go for the most sensational.

Ah, so, something just does not "ring true". Would that be because the witnesses were put into a bad light? Of course. Had the reporter said something good about the witnesses, we would have heard either no gripe, or at most what a fine example a journalism the piece was. Typical fundy with an axe to grind at the media.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit