How did the WT do compared to Catholic Church?

by Perry 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Perry
    Perry

Where was the sorrow for the victums? Where was the promise to the sheep that they'll do a better job of shepherding? Where was the repentant attitude?

What do you think? How did the WT compare to the Catholic Church in how they handled their own pedeophillia PR nightmare?

• SpiderMonkey
    SpiderMonkey

good questions, Perry! I think they flunked. Not only did they specifically advise the flock *not* to contact the police, they insisted that if the abuser doesn't admit it, you have to let it go.

Not only that, they actually disfellowshipped those who *did* have the courage to seek legal justice, and had the abused's entire congregation on their side!!! "uggggggh... my brain is clean now... it doesn't need any more washing"

In fact, they didn't even bother to move the abusers to a different area. It seems that once he "repented" (or even if he didn't) it was up to the victim to just forgive him and move on.

Here's hoping that the 2 lawsuits, and future ones, extract AT LEAST as much $$$ apiece as the ones against the Catholics have.

SpiderMonkey

• TexSham
    TexSham

The Catholic Church can afford to purge some people and move on. Can Jehovah spare the souls?

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

I think the way Elders have treated victims has served to revictimize them all over again. They have much to account for. But there is no way the Witnesses fair worse than the Catholic Church! It's comparing apples and oranges.

One reporter [a Catholic by the way] who interviewed me after reading my book asked, "Wouldn't you say abuse situations are worse in Jehovah's Witnesses?"

I said, "Are you kidding? This is a global problem in patriarchal institutions -- molesters abuse because they can. I know Catholic victims who are as fucked up as any Witness victim I know."

I have had victims tell me, "It wasn't as bad for me because...
    or "It was worse for me because...
    it only happened once
    it happened over many years
    it was a minister
    it was an Elder
    I fought back
    I didn't fight back
    I was alone
    there were other victims involved

And so on, and so on.
    And you know what, the devestation is always unique to the individual and his or her circumstances. A Witness victim is not worse off than a victim of another faith. A horrible crime was committed to all victims no matter what the circumstance and they are united as one by their experience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit