In what year was the first Memorial held?

by FFtruther144 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FFtruther144
    FFtruther144

I have been looking everywhere I can think of to find out which president or what year the Watchtower Society first celebrated the Memorial, or The Lord's Evening Meal with no success.

Does anyone know the answer?

Thank you.

• prologos
    prologos

Even the early Christians did not start right away. One of the first PASSOVER nights after Pentecost had Peter freed from prison by an angel*, and no mention of him returning to a memorial/ last supper celebration. Passover though.

* so the story goes

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Watchtower 1879, August pg.17 (See paragraph with small arrow on right.)

So, during this night-the Gospel age,- Christ, our Passover (lamb), is sacrificed, and we "keep the feast." (1Cor. v. 8.) We feed on our Lamb, with some of the "bitter herbs" of affliction to sharpen our appetite"

. . scan 10001.

. Atlantis

• prologos
    prologos

was this original light, or were there Quatrodeciman (14. nissan) sects before that?

• Simon
    Simon

607 ?

Joke: the only other year besides 1914 that JWs like to quote as the answer for something.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

The link below describes the Memorial being held in the home of W.H. Conley in 1880, just one year after the Watchtower posted above describes the Passover feast.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/99745/1/To-Barbara-Anderson-Re-First-WatchTower-President

Atlantis!

• Justnowout
    Justnowout

33 ce of course

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I am just using my faulty memory, but I seem to recall that some Scholars cast doubt on a very early start for such an observation in the formal way we see it done in Church now. They were saying, I think, that the gatherings of early Christians that were called Love Feasts evolved in to the more formal celebration eventually. ???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit