A Vote That Was Widely Ignored

by metatron 7 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/05/california-prisons_n_6070654.html

If I learned anything from my Witness experience, it is that, in balance, there can be too much of an obsession to PUNISH, PUNISH, PUNISH.

While the media wastes time over Tweedeldee vs Tweedeldum elections, the issues of real improvement and liberty get ignored. Given the eclectic backing of this measure, it suggests to me that it will go nationwide and that's good.

There is hope amidst the partisan nonsense.

metatron

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Thank you for bring this issue before the forum. I am very interested. The prison population of the United States is gigantic. It is an embarassment.

• prologos
    prologos

bad idea: de-criminalizing the crime of 'posession of a date drug' how would you justify carrying that stuff around? sale? use?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

You may not realize but there is no room to put serious criminals in prison. Federal judges have held that many states' prison overcrowing is unconst'l. The United States has so many more prisoners per citizen than any similarly situated country. The criminal justice system is so racist. We execute people whose lawyers were sleeping during their trial. This is a good measure to start a rational imprisonment policy. California often leads the way for other states to innovate. We can see how it works in California. If it is a success, maybe our taxes can go down.

• metatron
    metatron

A 'date drug'? How is that any different from sedatives or tranquilizers? GHB used to be a powerful HGH secretagogue sold over the internet but suddenly became legally equal to heroin overnight.

Decriminalizing drugs is the only way i know of to stop the drift into a police state.

metatron

• designs
    designs

One measure on the California ballot this year was not chargning people with a felony over some drug possession crimes.

• Simon
    Simon

How have things worked with the legalization of marijuana in other states? It seems bizzarre that there may be people in prison for things that are now legal elsewhere in the country.

I have no idea what happened after prohibition which would be similar - I guess if you break the law what counts is what the law was when you broke it. Still seems strange though.

The stats about US incarceration are shocking - this is a comedy show but it turns rather serious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPZed8af9RI

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I was surprised it passed. The major concerns were Roofies and stolen guns. Maybe the gun thieves will overdose on Roofies? We can hope.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit