Quotes on how JWs view and treat people who disassociate themselves

by cognac 8 Replies latest jw friends

• cognac
    cognac

I can't seem to find any quotes on this. Does anybody have any?

• Gregor
    Gregor

If a public announcement that a JW has formally disassociated themselves it was to be considered the same as df'ing - total shunning- no having a "spiritual good time" etc.

Sorry, I don't have a quote but it was common knowledge even 30 years ago.

• blondie
    blondie

*** w11 2/15 pp. 31-32 pars. 14-19 Do You Hate Lawlessness? ***

14 God’s Word commands that unrepentant sinners be removed from the congregation. (Read 1 Corinthians 5:9-13.) This is necessary for at least three reasons: (1) to keep Jehovah’s name free from reproach, (2) to protect the congregation from contamination, and (3) to help the sinner come to repentance if possible.

15 Do we share Jesus’ view of those who have become set in their lawless course? We need to give thought to these questions: ‘Would I choose to associate regularly with someone who has been disfellowshipped or who has disassociated himself from the Christian congregation? What if that one is a close relative who no longer lives at home?’ Such a situation can be a real test of our love of righteousness and of our loyalty to God.

16 Consider the experience of a sister whose adult son at one time had love for Jehovah. Later in life, however, he unrepentantly chose to practice lawlessness. Hence, he was disfellowshipped from the congregation. Our sister loved Jehovah, but she also loved her son and found it extremely difficult to apply the Scriptural command to avoid associating with him.

17 What advice would you have given this sister? An elder helped her to realize that Jehovah understood the pain she felt. The brother invited her to think about the pain Jehovah must have experienced when some of his angelic sons rebelled. The elder reasoned with her that even though Jehovah knows how painful such a circumstance can be, he requires that unrepentant sinners be disfellowshipped. She took the reminders to heart and loyally upheld the disfellowshipping arrangement. Such loyalty makes Jehovah’s heart glad.—Prov. 27:11.

18 If you face a similar situation, please remember that Jehovah sympathizes with you. By cutting off contact with the disfellowshipped or disassociated one, you are showing that you hate the attitudes and actions that led to that outcome. However, you are also showing that you love the wrongdoer enough to do what is best for him or her. Your loyalty to Jehovah may increase the likelihood that the disciplined one will repent and return to Jehovah.

19 One individual who was disfellowshipped and was later reinstated wrote: “I am happy that Jehovah loves his people enough to see that his organization is kept clean. What may seem harsh to outsiders is both necessary and really a loving thing to do.” Do you think that this person would have been helped to come to such a conclusion had members of the congregation, including her family, maintained regular contact with her while she was disfellowshipped? Our supporting the Scriptural arrangement of disfellowshipping gives evidence that we love righteousness and recognize Jehovah’s right to set standards of conduct.

*** lv chap. 3 pp. 34-35 Love Those Whom God Loves ***

WHEN TO WITHDRAW FELLOWSHIP

19 At times, we are called upon to withdraw our fellowship from one who has been a member of the congregation. This situation arises when an individual who unrepentantly violates God’s law is disfellowshipped or when one rejects the faith by teaching false doctrine or by disassociating himself from the congregation. God’s Word plainly tells us to “quit mixing in company” with such ones. (1 Corinthians 5:11-13; 2 John 9-11) It may be a real challenge to avoid someone who had perhaps been a friend or who is related to us. Will we take a firm stand, thereby showing that we put loyalty to Jehovah and his righteous laws above all else? Remember that Jehovah places a high value on loyalty and obedience.

20 The disfellowshipping arrangement is really a loving provision from Jehovah. How so? Expelling an unrepentant sinner shows love for Jehovah’s holy name and all that it stands for. (1 Peter 1:15, 16) Disfellowshipping keeps the congregation safe. Faithful members are protected from the unwholesome influence of willful sinners and can go about their worship knowing that the congregation is a safe haven from this wicked world. (1 Corinthians 5:7; Hebrews 12:15, 16) The strong discipline shows love for the wrongdoer. It may be just the jolt he needs to come to his senses and take the steps necessary to return to Jehovah.—Hebrews 12:11.

• blondie
    blondie

Quotes can be found using the WT-CD which jws usually have access to or

or

online at www.jw.org

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/h/r1/lp-e

• mohrb
    mohrb

What's the question? If you just stop going to meetings... there's not really a protocall because there's nothing wrong with that. A good elder should check up on you to see if there's a reason you stopped they might be able to help with. But there's a chasm between "someone who stops going" and "an unrepentant sinner."

I have family who are disfellowshipped. I have family who've decided never to go again. Myself, I've been too busy with life to go for pretty good chunks of time. I've seen just about every angle.

Only negative repercussion I've seen when you stop going is that when you show up again a year later, the guy at the door may think you're a noob and offer to find a seat for you.

• blondie
    blondie

Look at cognac's recent posts/threads. She took her children trick or treating and his husband is still going to meetings. She wants the official position of the WTS as to how disassociated jws are treated.

• fulano
    fulano

When you write your letter to the congregation that you no longer want to be known as a JW, they have to make that announcement. From that moment on you are in the same position as a df person.

I havent done that, but I am thinking about doing it.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Gregor - "...no having a "spiritual good time" etc."

What actually is a "spiritual good time", anyway?

Sex in church?

• AlwaysBusy
    AlwaysBusy

"Disfellowshipping keeps the congregation safe. Faithful members are protected from the unwholesome influence of willful sinners and can go about their worship knowing that the congregation is a safe haven from this wicked world"

Not True.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit