Jehovah's Witnesses more trouble in Finland for internal judicial procedures not reporting crimes to police - JW.ORG

by wannabefree 9 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

http://yle.fi/uutiset/abuse_victim_jehovahs_witnesses_refused_to_reveal_rape_to_the_police/7592733

Abuse victim: "Jehovah's Witnesses refused to report rape to the police"

The Jehovah's Witnesses' so-called "judicial committee" is dealing with criminal cases, according to some former members of the Christian religious denomination. The committee has refused to reveal sexual abuse cases to the police. Minister of the Interior Päivi Räsänen of the Christian Democrats is asking for clarification on how police could better serve victims in such cases.

Kirsi-Maria Aho, a former member of the Jehovah's Witnesses denomination, faced sexual abuse some twenty years ago. Cases of abuse are heard by the faith’s judicial committee. The abuser was not part of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

“It was a crime. First, the man raped me and then he abused me sexually. This would have been a matter for the police, but the elders banned me from going to the police because the name of Jehovah couldn't be dragged through the mud,” Aho says.

Aho had to appear before the committee several times. She describes it as cruel and accusatory.

“It was really cruel. A young girl under fire in front of three men,” she says. “The men asked confusing questions, such as whether I had indulged in group sex. The Committee emphasized that I had done wrong and that I was wicked and adulterous. No one defended me.”

As punishment, Aho was ostracised from the community. At the same time she was isolated from her loved ones.

Recovery from the devastating experience has been slow.

“I thought for 22 years that I was bad,” says Aho. “Since I was isolated from the Jehovah's Witnesses I’ve thought that. Art therapy studies have brought me self-respect and understanding. I’ve realized that I’m not the bad one.”

Minister of the Interior calls for clarification of police role

The Victims of Religion Support Association has documented 28 such human experiences under the Jehovah's Witness’ legal committee. Aho's is one of them. This week the association gave the Minister of the Interior Päivi Räsänen a list of suggestions on how society should address the issue of Jehovah's Witnesses legal committees. Räsänen is the parliamentary member responsible for matters relating to religious communities.

The association proposes, among other things, that religious courts be prohibited by law. Räsänen has passed the report on to the Ministry of Justice for clarification.

“In any case, we should not accept parallel legal systems in which crimes are investigated and sanctions considered,” says Räsänen. “Now, of course, it should be figured out where these judicial committees stand in light of our legislation.”

The report recommends that police have a better understanding of such cases and Räsänen has already called on her own Ministry to clarify their role.

The Jehovah's Witnesses see the Victims of Religion Support Association as an attack on the principles of the faith. The Jehovah's Witnesses community did not wish to comment further.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

"This would have been a matter for the police, but the elders banned me from going to the police because the name of Jehovah couldn't be dragged through the mud"

How's that approach working out for you so far, Watchtower? LOL.

• flipper
    flipper

Why doesn't this surprise me ? Even happening in Finland . It's happening across the entire goddamned planet ! For a young woman like this to have been treated like a criminal for reporting her rape to elders and ostracized as she was and asked if she had " group sex " from the JC elders handling her case is criminal on the elders part. A person gets sexually abused- then the elders blame THEM for it . It's time for this crimial WT organization to be exposed FULL TILT

• metatron
    metatron

This follows the thought I've had for some time now about judicial committees - they are emerging as legal dynamite because they can quickly involve knowledge of criminal acts that then go unreported.

metatron

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I had a friend a young girl only about 18, she was dated raped not by a JW but someone studying so he could be around her. She delayed going to the elders until the baby was showing do to shame and because she was very shy. They Disfellowshipped her, she even ended up homeless for a short while because of this. These Bastards only think of themselves and their beloved Organization..

• cognac
    cognac

This is really sick.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

My daughter was raped by a JW who was engaged to be married to another sister. She told the elders who then communicated with the elders in the boy's congregation. He denied everything saying that my daughter was trying to break up his engagement because she was in love with him. The elders kept on asking my daughter if she was telling the truth. In the end they counseled her to be more active in service and to comment at least once every meeting. The boy's friends and her fiancee made phone threats...even her mother called and she actually believed my daughter. Still the couple was married at their Kingdom Hall. At that point my daughter disassociated herself. All of this went on unbeknownst to us who live 6 hours away. An elder from my daughter's congregation called me to tell me my daughter was disassociated. At that point I stopped communication with her as any good serving JW would do...One year later the boy confessed, was disfellowshiped and his wife divorced him. No apologies to my daughter from the elders. That's when I found out all that had been going on. I have since asked my daughter to forgive me for being such a poor father. Last year my daughter sent me a birthday card in which she expressed her love for me that made me cry as I never had before. Today we still live 6 hours away but we are closer than ever.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

NVR2LB- So sorry. I have heard cases like your before. WTBTS is just barely being brought to justice. Please help give your daughter a voice and help her reach out to a rape counciling center and mental health expert.

This news story is just another example of Jehovah's Witnesses disdain for women, Children and the law.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

metatron - "This follows the thought I've had for some time now about judicial committees - they are emerging as legal dynamite because they can quickly involve knowledge of criminal acts that then go unreported."

Thought I'd bring this back to the table:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/child-abuse/240287/1/Something-occurred-to-mee280a6

• prologos
    prologos

wt JCs have a parallell in the Sharia under ground justice structure, now resisted in some countries. How far will the tolerance of legitimate governments go?

The wt god(s)* have been ruling now for 100 years, with their unique laws, enforcements and limited punishments.

* "-- you are gods,--" Jesus in John 10:34, see also Glorious ones.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit