Ministers to consult over mandatory abuse reporting

by lurkernomore 6 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• lurkernomore
    lurkernomore

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29811206

I wonder if this is put in force, whether the WTBS will comply or view this as more persecution?!

• Enzo
    Enzo

I don't think the WTBS will refuse to comply .. They will accept it believe me.. But it must also said that it is not sure if mandatory abuse reporting will be obbligatory.. First there will be a consult with Ministers about the risk, the scope, and the nature of such a mandatory report.. And wich form of sexual abuse must be report.. and then they have to change the law.. And that is not easy, because you have those who are against it, and those who are favourable.. we will see.. I hope that always the safety and the protection of children will be the dominant factor in such consults, and for the rest we will wait and see...

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I don't think that under the present proposals the JW religion, along with many others, would be considered a body that should report. I hope this changes.

• Raton
    Raton

There are laws in most states that say abuse must be reported and they don't report. So, no new law here or elsewhere will change that.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think that if it were mandatory more would report here in the U.K, especially if a Prison Sentence were threatened for not reporting, but as I said above, I am pretty sure they do not come under these latest proposals, although they, and all Churches, should, for obvious reasons.

• lurkernomore
    lurkernomore

Totally agree Phizzy. As a parent I just wish they'd get their head out of the sand and tackle this problem once and for all in religious organisations. It frustrates me to see so many innocent children robbed of their dignity

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

lurkernomore - "...I just wish they'd get their head out of the sand and tackle this problem once and for all in religious organisations."

Problem is, it requires significant internal progressive reforms.

They'd have to embrace policy and fiscal transparency, fairly utilize the democratic process, accept the discoveries of science and history regardles of the implications, and foster positive community activism.

Those kinds of reforms are almost completely anethema to the vast majority of authoritarian religions, where the institutionalized sexual victimization of young people has become endemic.

You'll almost never find it in churches that have already implemented those kinds of policies, because they foster an environment wherein it's virtually impossible for the problem to take root.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit