To Whom Shall We Go You Have The sayings Of Everlasting Life

by frankiespeakin 7 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Of coarse any one claiming to be God's Son, is pretty heady stuff. I look at the words that are found John 6:66-70 and picture a delusional person faced with a huge loss in followers because he wasn't able to make his words pleasing to some and he lost them:

?” 53 So Jesus said to them: “Most truly I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in yourselves.+ 54 Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has everlasting life, and I will resurrect+ him on the last day; 55 for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. 56 Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood remains in union with me, and I in union with him.+ 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will live because of me.+ 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. It is not as when your forefathers ate and yet died. Whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.”+ 59 He said these things as he was teaching in a synagogue* in Ca·per′na·um. 60 When they heard this, many of his disciples said: “This speech is shocking; who can listen to it?”

But fear not there are still some diehard followers who while shocked,, will stick to their cult idol Jesus:

+ 66 Because of this, many of his disciples went off to the things behind+ and would no longer walk with him. 67 So Jesus said to the Twelve: “You do not want to go also, do you?” 68 Simon Peter answered him: “Lord, whom shall we go away to?+ You have sayings of everlasting life.+ 69 We have believed and have come to know that you are the Holy One of God.”+ 70 Jesus answered them: “I chose you twelve, did I not?+ Yet one of you is a slanderer.”*

Sounds like Jesus landed him a bonafide follower when he got Peter,, this guy will hang in there with stars in his eyes going gaga over sticking to Jesus no matter what,, you can't ask for a better disciple when you are a cult leader,,(Jesus is probably thinking I wish I had more like him this guy is bat shit crazy loyal). But Jesus is suspicious of even his high ranking 12,, hey he just experienced a down turn in followers and come hell and high water who is next on the menu of traitors like the rest. How dare they not listen to what I say! When I say eat me I mean eat me!!!!

No wounder that the Governing Body would take this scripture for all cult members to imitate Peter when he hears something that should knock some sense into his head and just say " Who else has the sayings of everlasting life?" End of discussion I got my finger in my ears.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Verse 50:

59 He said these things as he was teaching in a synagogue * in Ca·per′na·um. 60 When they heard this, many of his disciples said: “This speech is shocking; who can listen to it?”

So he was a jew that got a following there and then starts babbling some incoheirent stuff about eating his body and drinking his blood so no doubt his popularity got shot to hell, but Peter and some unamed others are going to stick. Interesting story when you think about it. Could these in any way picture the faithful still around going on quick builds say 2024?

• talesin
    talesin

I never thought of it that way, but hell to the yah!

Someone said that to me about 5 years ago; my only family member with whom I am secretly in touch. *grins* I get strong vibes that he has never really 'believed', and he said to me once, rather wistfully "But where would I go?"

And when I think of it, with a lifetime of being in the b'Org, marrying young, never 'readhing out' to be an MS, but faithfully attending and going in FS only the minimum, yeah, he doesn't believe. But it would be daunting to go out into the world, at 50+, and leave the KH (his spouse is a True Believer, as is most of the family), and all that you knew behind.

They truly do drill this scripture into our heads from birth (yes, we are born-in, my family), and by their isolation of the cult members, reinforce the very real fear of being alone in a world of scary, untrustworthy strangers.

This is not happifying.

xo

tal

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Tal,

The question can be a very insincere one if one is unwilling to look at other options. Asking where to go when the only two options are everlasting life(imaginary) and not everlasting life(reality). Not much room to move about with all that black and white thinking going on.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Peter refused to go away from Jesus, because Jesus had "sayings of everlasting life". For Chrisitans this is still the attitude to cling on to, never leave the "Holy One of God".

JW's have to ask themselves, how close am I to Jesus as part of this Organization ? or have I "gone away" from him ?

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Peter (if he and jesus actually existed, as such) was just about as important to the creation of christianity as was jesus. He was, as you say, the loyal follower who'd stick around for anything. Without him jumping up to affirm his loyalty, the other disciples would've had time to think and might've figured out that they were following a new cult leader. Humans, as the social apes that we are, instinctively rely on the valuation of others when we decide on something's value. If a friend is hot after a girl, suddenly she looks better to you too. The same thing was probably in play here, the other disciples may have had some doubts about this new guy coming along and basically throwing their entire religion in the crapper, but Peter was always there affirming his loyalty and indirectly pressuring the rest of them to go along.

Personally this scripture always bugged me. Not just because the way it was used was always sort of said to me "This religion may suck, but everything else sucks a little worse" which was never satisfying, but more because of 2 Timothy 4:3 - "For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the wholesome teaching, but according to their own desires, they will surround themselves with teachers to have their ears tickled." Whenever they read this scripture where peter's stated reason for sticking by jesus wasn't because he was the messiah, nor was it because he was backed by god as evidenced by his miraculous works, nor was it because he spoke "truth" nor was it because his "load was light" - it was because he had "sayings of everlasting life." How is that anything other than following someone to have your "ears tickled?" So it's OK to do it as long as you follow the right guy?

• Simon
  • frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

53 So Jesus said to them: “Most truly I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in yourselves. + 54 Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has everlasting life, and I will resurrect + him on the last day; 55 for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink.

Sounds kind of freaky to me in a sadomasochistic sorta way without any exaggeration.

56 Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood remains in union with me, and I in union with him. + 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will live because of me.

A sort of ménage à trois. in the game of life if you will.

+ 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. It is not as when your forefathers ate and yet died. Whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.” +

So this bread is better! so eat my body and drink my blood basically is his logical fallacy conclusion. He sounds like a real cult leader who knows he gonna die because he can't keep he mouth shut, letting out all this shocking babble. I guess he is being blind sided by his own delusions of grandure and because of it says some things that defy the logic of the times, Jesus marches to his own drummer on this one.

59 He said these things as he was teaching in a synagogue * in Ca·per′na·um. 60 When they heard this, many of his disciples said: “This speech is shocking; who can listen to it?”

Well lets give these guys a round of applause for having some common sense unlike Peter who can't see the writting on the wall because of his delusion that Jesus has the sayings of everlasting life. Peter really should give this thing more thought. I think history or suedo history has it that Peter was a martyr either way Peter is an example in gulibility, erronious reasoning with black and white thinking logic, and wishful thinking and in recent times a corporation role model for its gulible lackeis or rank and file members to closely follow in order to get everlasting life.

+ 66 Because of this, many of his disciples went off to the things behind+ and would no longer walk with him. 67 So Jesus said to the Twelve: “You do not want to go also, do you?” 68 Simon Peter answered him: “Lord, whom shall we go away to?+ You have sayings of everlasting life.+ 69 We have believed and have come to know that you are the Holy One of God.

Everlasting life seems to be carrot that gets the jack ass to stay on the tread mill for free service to a worthless cause even martyrdom. And as for proof that Peter ever got everlasting life for sticking to the cult leader there isn't any.

http://www.ewtn.com/library/MARY/PETEMART.HTM

HE DATE OF PETER'S MARTYRDOM

Margherita Guarducci

The most authoritative text informing us of Peter's martyrdom in Rome is the first letter of Saint Clement the Roman to the Corinthians, generally dated at about 96 AD. In its turn, Clement's letter cannot be read apart from one famed passage of Tacitus' <Annales> (XV, 38-45), in which the historian speaks of the famous fire that flared in Rome on the night of July 18-19, 64 and of its consequences. A comparison of these two testimonies seems to show that Peter was martyred during the anti-Christian persecution campaign unleashed by Nero after the fire and that the place of his martyrdom was the Vatican's <horti.> The information Tacitus provides is undoubtedly very authoritative because the author of the Annales was writing not long after the events and he was able to quote eyewitnesses as well as from first-hand documents, such as the <Acta senatus> and the <Acta diurna>—respectively the minutes of Senate sessions and the official diaries of the Roman State.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit