Jesus quoted the Talmud!

by objectivetruth 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

"for if one says to him: Remove the mote from between your eyes, he would answer: Remove the beam from between your eyes!" - Talmud - Mas. Arachin 16b

" Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?" - Matthew 7:3

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Its also thought that Jesus was talking about a book about Solomon where in it Solomon could and did have power over the demons. Yet these books like the book of Enoch also quoted in the bible never made it in to the Canon but a late writing of a Prophet that the Jews don't take too seriously because of its lating writing, Daniel, becomes a major book to the fundamentalist christians.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

May I ask a question? Did the Talmud exist in the first few decades of the common era?

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

Good Question Fulltime, I suppose the Talmud did not necessarily exist in the first few decades CE in written form, only Orally. Perhaps this saying of removing the rafter was a common Saying used by Jesus and other Raabis of the past.

• blondie
    blondie

The Talmud has two components. The first part is the Mishnah (Hebrew: משנה, c. 200 CE), the written compendium of Rabbinic Judaism's Oral Torah (Torah meaning "Instruction", "Teaching" in Hebrew). The second part is the Gemara ( c. 500 CE), an elucidation of the Mishnah and related Tannaitic writings that often ventures onto other subjects and expounds broadly on the Hebrew Bible. The term Talmud can be used to mean either the Gemara alone, or the Mishnah and Gemara as printed together.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talmud

• designs
    designs

Rabbi Hillel the Elder, 110BCE, and his school the House of Hillel were instrumental in gatherings wise sayings from Judaism over the previous centuries. Those sayings preceeded the formalization into the Talmud. Hillel was famous for the Golden Rule saying used by Jesus and also the famous expression' 'If I am not for myself, who will be for me".

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

Thanks Designs.. Are you by chance aware of any writings prior to 1 C.E. That Mention some one "Fulfilling the Law", while speaking or teaching? I have read that this was a common saying, and it's meaning was that someone Explained or Taught Torah well. I have not seen any examples yet though.

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

From Rabbi Hillel : " asked by a prospective convert to Judaism to teach him the whole Torah while he stood on one leg, replied: 'That which is hateful unto you do not do to your neighbor. This is the whole of the Torah, The rest is commentary. Go forth and study." (Shabbat 31a)

From Jesus : " “So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets." Matthew 7:12

• TD
    TD

So Jesus was Jewish and understood the Oral Law? Big surprise there....

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

he also celebrated hanukkah, which is interesting since the books of maccabees are considered apocryphal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit