Couple of questions

by All for show 6 Replies latest jw friends

• All for show
    All for show

Why would the WTS want to get rid of fence sitter? As in, why are weak ones a burden to the cong, isn't that the whole point, to shepherd the flock?

Does anyone know if the GB gets a paycheck, flies first class, how they vacation? (I said/asked a few things to my mom who is convinced they are so loving and live poorly like other Bethelites).

Why do they not encourage higher education- like the Mormons- wouldn't wealthier flock contribute more funds, thus more income?

How does it benefit the WTS to have a poor flock? How does millions of hours knocking on doors benefit them? hardly anyone places literature in my cong, the literature servant said they had to cut their monthly order by 65/70 percent Because they had so much extra Material.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

A fence sitter could cause others to question and doubt.

I don't believe the Watchtowers main purpose is making money--if so, they would want a more career oriented, educated flock.

I believe the main purpose is to spread false doctrine, and destroy any shred of faith outside of that religion. I can't think of any other religion that creates ex members who are heavily atheist and agnostic.

• Terry
    Terry

I don't think it has anything to do with anything but the ANNOYANCE.

Once an Elder is cozy with the idea he possesses all the absolute Truth in the entire universe, it simply annoys

the hell out of him to have somebody NOT SEE what appears so obvious.

Rather than being of a humble and custodial frame of mind, Elders are pompous windbags who want to impress

everybody with the size of their . . . nonsense.

Fence sitters make the powerful JW's appear to be less than great at shepherding and teaching.

It's easier to label the unconvinced as troublemakers.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I believe the main purpose is to spread false doctrine, and destroy any shred of faith outside of that religion. I can't think of any other religion that creates ex members who are heavily atheist and agnostic.

Here is one that has had their faith vertually distroyed due to this cult but then again I think regradless of my religious upbringing I would have come to the same ultimate conclusions.

• sir82
    sir82

How does it benefit the WTS to have a poor flock? How does millions of hours knocking on doors benefit them?

They have documented, auditable "proof" that they are a "charitable organization": "Look, we have these reports! They have lots of numbers! Look at how many billions of hours we spend doing charitable education work!!!" This ensures they are not taxed.

Regarding the "poor flock", a poor member is a dependent member. These guys get off on, not so much on the millionaire-style perks (although they happily acept them), but on the POWER they hold over millions of lives.

Imagine the ego-boost of having 8 million people ready to (quite literally) die for you (e.g., refuse life-saving medical treatment). If you say "the sky is green" in the pages of the Watchtower, you have millions of people who would go to prison tomorrow, defiantly affirming that the sky is green "because the Watchtower says so!".

That is a RUSH.

Kim Jong Il needs a huge army and forced near-starvation to inspire similar apparent adulation. The GB does it by speaking a few words.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Don't forget the GB are also delluded to some extent, they feel they benefit by being saved at Armageddon, but also this is all a scam. They do make a lot of money with their property business and money lending. If you look closely into the finances you will see it's all about the money.

It's better for the flock to be less educated, because their thinking ability will be impaired if they are.

It is all about the money, but in different ways.

Kate xx

• jgnat
    jgnat

If you start with the premise that the WTS is a corporation whose main interest is self-preservation, its' decisions make a lot more sense. It's history is rooted in decisions and habits of Russell and Rutherford, not in textbook Christianity.

Q. Why would the WTS want to get rid of fence sitter? As in, why are weak ones a burden to the cong, isn't that the whole point, to shepherd the flock?

A. The WTS has a long and checquered history of expelling dissenters. It's all about maintaining power and control.

http://skepsis.no/src/popup.php?site=skepsis.no&page=utskrift&NyhetID=74 (word search "dissent")

Q. Does anyone know if the GB gets a paycheck, flies first class, how they vacation? (I said/asked a few things to my mom who is convinced they are so loving and live poorly like other Bethelites).

A. The books are closed, so we can't know for sure. In the US religious organizations don't need to publish their accounts. You might want to show your mom pictures of the development happening in Warwick. There are artist's renderings on jw.org as well. I don't think you will find overt displays of wealth as we saw with Rutherford. I think the attraction of being part of the "Governing Body" is power, not money.

http://www.sloatsburgvillage.com/2014/03/24/watchtower-presents-global-view-at-tuxedo-town-hall/

Q. Why do they not encourage higher education- like the Mormons- wouldn't wealthier flock contribute more funds, thus more income? How does it benefit the WTS to have a poor flock?

A. Someone once said the WTS is a reactive organization rather than proactive. I am sure they have statistics on how many college-educated Witnesses leave the organization. Too many. Therefore college education is "bad". Remember, the WTS is chiefly interested in continued existence. It has to just make enough. No need to be greedy. Swiftly growing organizations come with their own problems. Better to have slow and steady growth.

http://religions.pewforum.org/pdf/report-religious-landscape-study-full.pdf

"Jehovah's Witnesses have the lowest retention rate of any religious tradition."

Q. How does millions of hours knocking on doors benefit them? hardly anyone places literature in my cong, the literature servant said they had to cut their monthly order by 65/70 percent Because they had so much extra Material.

A. It keeps congregation members busy so they don't have time to think about how useless their efforts are.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit