On the road again . . . and what do I see? A sign: KINGDOM HALL of JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

by Terry 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

Minutes ago . . .
    I rode past them.
    There they were all trussed up in Jehovah's harness like sled dogs pulling their taskmaster behind them.

I zipped down the road in biking shorts and T-shirt with a nice breeze in my face while they were trudging toward the Kingdom Hall door.
    I was a blur of freedom and exhilaration. One of the children turned his head with eyes of wonder and a sad little smile. His fate was tight around his neck like a noose, even though it was only a shabby necktie.

Up ahead of me was the open highway and the freedom to choose this way or that way. My whim and my world all belong to me now.
    The weary folks behind had just come back from knocking doors and imagining themselves agents of rescue. The tread wear in their expression was so evident to me. I too had walked in those shoes with sore feet, and little else to show for it.
    The birds were chattering in the dazzling skies and a glint of sunlight decorated the spokes on my wheels as I dashed away.

Not like those trapped souls lumbering under the weight of monthly goals. No matter how hard they try they'll never have their heart's desire. It is a dark illusion earned by the death of billions.

I, on the other hand, see only the beauty in life now because . . .
    I'm free to choose the goodness in man . . .
    My eyes are open . . . at long last.
    I'm turned outward to embrace whatever comes.
    There are no limits. There are no taskmasters cracking that whip above my ears.

There is the splash of sun on the open highways and silken tufts of clouds like fluttering flags in a sea of blue skies.

I mutter under my breath, "Hey Jehovah--remember me? I'm the one who got away. Happy hunting!"

I laugh like a kid on a playground and shift into gear--away. . . away . . away . . . as Jehovah shakes His wringkled fist at me

in my rear view mirror . . .

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

You sound like the next " Jack Wallstrom..." follow that highway Terry Kerouac.

• 4thgen
    4thgen

Thanks for the smile, Terry. Keep on goin! Hugs, 4thgen

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Nice write up Terry .

Reminded me of how happy I was when service was over with and I was going to go home to pursue something a little more pleasing.

Every time I see JWS out in service walking in the slow gaited pace, I reminded of how excruciating that experience was and even

compels me to have a bit of empathy toward those individuals.

• Terry
    Terry

My motto is: If you don't mind, they don't matter.

It felt funny to suddenly look up and see the sign. It is a dual Kingdom Hall. Another sign nearby was for the Spanish congregation.

The sight of it . . . and them . . . like an ancient insect trapped in amber.

A curiosity swallowed in irrelevance.

• suavojr
    suavojr

Bravo! Nice writing Terry.

• Terry
    Terry

It was my cousin Deb who kept after me. "Just try it, " she insisted.

I didn't want to.

A person my age on a bike--how foolish! Well, she kept nagging.

Finally, I figured--I'll go to the bicycle shop and test ride just so I can say I finally did it. At least I'll have done something other than complain.

Right? Right.

The very instant I sat upon the seat and placed the soles of my shoes on the pedals and zipped off into childhood through a portal more real than imagination can ever be . . . I was back again in the glorious world of pure exhilaration! Words won't do the trick . . . nothing will except the joy--pure joy of being alone on a seat and two wheels.

The day is yours . . . every road is a beckoning friend and maze to solve under treetops and sputtering sunlight.

Give it a go.

You won't be sorry.

• conflicted89
    conflicted89

Sounds great Terry! My partner and I are thinking of getting bicycles... to get in shape for our wedding next year.

By the way, are you a professional writer or blog writer? Your posts are always very poetic.

• clarity
    clarity

Terry.......brilliant......just brilliant!

I almost felt the wind biting at my face,

imagining that. I used to ride a lot.

Nothing feels quite like that free light

sensation ..... just you & a pair of wheels!

We'd let go of the handle bars just for fun,

and yell out to our friends "look Ma no hands!"

Remembering of course the other half of that

silly saying "look Ma...."no teeth!" :-)

clarity

• Terry
    Terry

I've been riding going on 3 years now, and I haven't had but one small spill on gravel. I skinned a knee, and not too badly.

I'm vigilant. I don't listen to music or daydream.

I ride in traffic every day. My ears are pricked up and I'm constantly scanning all directions.

I don't aim for speed, and I'm quite unconcerned how fast I get to where I'm going.

I finally watched a video (on YouTube) about choosing my gear ratios properly--and that made a world of difference in effort expended.

Like anything else we do--if we go about it consciously, prudently, and with preparation, we stand a good chance of getting more out of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit