Children, Advice, Agency and $$$$$$$

by Lee Elder 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

The Watchtower Society has occupied an enormously important place in the lives of millions. I believe this is especially true for those raised in the religion. Based on the WTS published statements, the teaching of WTS representatives and their parents, JW children are methodically indoctrinated to believe that the Watchtower is God's organization - his channel for communicating with mankind. It is only reasonable to conclude that this creates an enormous responsibility for the organization to act in the best interest of these children.

JW children are literally inundated with advice from the Watchtower Society on every imaginable subject and if they are to please their parents and avoid being labeled as worldly and shunned, they must carefully follow the advice of the WTS. The level of coercion is significant and while society will generally condone this type of control when it is in the child's best interest - I believe that is becoming very clear that the actions of the WTS are frequently not in JW children's best interest.

The WTS has placed itself in the role of divinely authorized spirit
    directed advisor, counselor and agent as a brief survey of their writings indicate. One of the ways that courts have recognized the creation of agency relationships is when one party in the relationship offers advice. Here are a few examples of where the WTS has used this expression:

*** w71 9/1 526 Fortify Yourself So as to Maintain Integrity ***
    "Contrary to the advice of the organization of Jehovah's witnesses..."

*** km 2/84 4 Expanding Your Ministry as a Regular Pioneer ***
    "God's Word and spirit, along with the good advice offered by Jehovah's organization..."

*** g92 5/22 27 The Truth Has Set Me Free ***
    "By applying the therapy along with the good advice from Jehovah's organization..."

*** g81 10/8 14 The Real Brotherhood of Man Today ***
    "Bryan Wilson, professor at Oxford University, England, made a study of "the recent rapid growth" of the Witnesses in Japan. He wrote: "Witnesses offer a wide range of practical advice . . . "

By advising millions of persons on a whole range of issues, the WTS has likely created an agency relationship with its members. Once this point is established, the WTS then legally owes a fiduciary responsibility towards those whom it advises (its principals).

In addition to clergy, other common examples of agency relationships are ones we have with our lawyer, physician, accountant, real estate agent, etc. The courts set a high standard of what is required of those who act as agents. Here is a brief look at the standard and some examples related to the WTS:

Loyalty

In a fiduciary relationship, the WTS would be required to demonstrate loyalty towards its members - acting in their best interest. This requires their being entirely open and not keeping any information from members that has any bearing on the relationship. Does the WTS have a problem in this regard? I believe it does since they have worked diligently to prevent members from accessing information that could allow them to objectively evaluate its claims and advice.

Are WTS appointed elders who have advised Jehovah's Witness parents not to report allegations of child abuse to the authorities acting in the best interest of the parents or the child? Clearly not! Furthermore, these elders have given very bad advice for while some states may not require members of the clergy to report child abuse; all 50 states require parents, family members or friends to report. So in most cases JW elders, at the direction of the WTS, encouraged and at times insisted that the law be disobeyed.

Skill and Care

An agent is under a special duty to exercise more than an ordinary degree of skill and care. Consider how this relates to the WTS medical advice on the use of blood or various blood products. Life and death decisions are being made based upon the WTS analysis of the scientific and medical facts concerning the use of blood.

I believe that careful analysis of the WTS published statements concerning its position on the use blood clearly show that the WTS has either misrepresented the facts, or they have negligently failed to carefully research the available scientific literature and have provided millions of persons with bad medical advice. Following this advice has led thousands to premature death.

With regard to child abuse, it is becoming apparent that the leaders have failed to exercise even an "ordinary" degree of skill and care in protecting Jehovah's Witness children from pedophiles. The emphasis has rather been on protecting the image of the Watchtower Society and perhaps its assets.

Full Disclosure

One who advises or acts as an agent on behalf of another is required by law to make a full disclosure of all of the facts. Again, it can be easily demonstrated that the WTS has not complied with this legal requirement. Repeatedly they disclose only those facts that support the current WTS blood policy and they distort or withhold important information that should be made available to members who are facing life and death choices. Additionally, they go so far as to threaten, intimidate and coerce members so that they will not even seek outside information to supplement the medical advice they are receiving from the WTS.

Upon careful review, I believe that the WTS actions would violate the generally held moral standards of most communities and hence they are guilty of moral turpitude. It appears to me that any number of torts have been committed, and it is probably just a matter of time before we see claims against the WTS for wrongful death and possibly criminal charges in some jurisdictions. The actions related to child abuse have already begun.

Once the attorneys begin to see the potential for large awards and the WTS deep pockets, a flood of litigation will ensue. I have just briefly touched on one area of the law that I am somewhat familiar with and I imagine there are many other legal remedies available.

It is unfortunate that it has come to this but nothing else seems to get the attention of the leaders of the WTS. They are captives of a concept. For generations, Jehovah's Witnesses have encouraged singleness and held out work in the full time service as the highest calling. They have sent their young men to Bethel, Gilead and other WT assignments. In the organization, family and children have never been a priority but rather a distraction from full time service to Jehovah God.

These youngsters grew up and became the leaders of the organization. Can any of us really be that surprised by what we observe in this broken, dysfunctional system we call the Watchtower Society? Even the leaders are victims, as is so often the case with child abuse, and abuse others in turn.

Jehovah's Witnesses as an organization must change their priorities and place their children at the top of the list. It's my hope that the current scandal will open the eyes as well as hearts and minds of many JWs. That would be an important first step in addressing the problems in the Watchtower leadership.

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Lee Elder,

Scary as your comments are this just came in my E-mail from a reliable friend. I never knew things were this bad:

Date:

24 May 2002

Time:

09:44:25

Comments
    I work in a residential treatment center for troubled youths. There is a section devoted to adolescents who have been court ordered to receive treatment for sexualized activities with younger ones....generally siblings. Age range from 12 to 18....separated into different dorms based on age groupings, etc. Of course ALL started this path by acting out what was perpetrated upon them by one or more adults...generally a family member. Some got caught early on, and remain more victim than offender. Some are hardened, seasoned, sadistic, sociopathic rapists, with no conscience at all. Those usually end up back in the penal system. Throughout this spectrum have always been a high number of Jehovah's Witnesses. Some learned their behavior at book studies. Some at Kingdom Halls. Some in the field ministry. Almost all suffered horrific, and often ritualistic sexual abuse. Many will not talk about being a Jehovah's Witness, having been trained and brainwashed not to bring reproach on the congregation. Many continue to preach their religion. The other day I heard a boy from that section belting out a Kingdom Song (what Jws call their hymns). Loud and clear. Every verse. It rang down the corridors, and out onto the playground. I got goosebumps. Another one. The stream never stops. The ones who are JWs typically have the worse horror stories of how they were abused by family, and high profile ones serving in their congregations. Some of them will continue this cycle throughout life...often in prison. Hopefully, those silent lambs that are receptive to cognitive therapy, will break free of their old patterns, and lead productive and abuse free lives. For me, personally, and professionally, I don't see how they could do so, if after release, they go back to their old "Theocratic" way of life. To be truly free, they would have to break free of that. For those that do go back, I woulld hope that due to the work of Silentlambs, the exposure on Dateline, and families finally saying they have had enough, that the organization could clean up their act enough to make a safe ewnviroment for children.

Joseph

• happy man
    happy man

Very good post lee.
    this is a problem who I have been thinking abaout a lot.
    I have growing upp inn the religion and understand what you are talking about, I think this downlooking to children is something very old inn the religion, i read the book from Rutherford from the 1942, as named children , ther you can read that it is now time to get children, not even to married,.
    As a child i remember that some CO was wery negative too children, and we hade too bee very perfekt. When i grow upp to an young man, I was not piojiring, i was working in my faders firm, nor so good, even if i always doing my 10 to 20 ours, But we have one CO who was wery nice to children and give us who was yuongsters bigg support.
    I think this thing is better now, and it was inn the 1950 centuri.
    when I was an elder i was always give support for the young peopel.
    Thanks for bringing this topic upp, hope you understand my badenglish.

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

bttt

• SEAKEN2001
    SEAKEN2001

Lee,

I have wondered for a long time why we can't take legal action against the WTS. The traditional answer is that the law protects them as a religion and no one has been successful in the courts to challenge their identity under the law. Is there a chance that this angle of the WTS being an agency could be successfully used to fight these guys who destroy our families and personal reputations? Or has there always been a chance in the courts but no legal agencies have been willing to take it on. Is it the money? Could a class action suite be used? I don't know the legal loopholes but there should be some way for us to fight back in the courts since these guys are only hiding behind the label of religion. If it could be proved that the WTS is responsible for bad advice and creating unstable families maybe they will be forced to change their df/shunning policies in order to avoid constant harrassment in the courts.

Sean

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

How can advice that JW's should NOT use aluminium saucepans, or that Vaccinations do not work, or advice on other secular matters, be protected under the label of a "religion". Yet the WTS has frequently
    given such "advice" over many years, often through the Awake magazine.

This is not religious advice, its secular and mundane. It should be able to be challenged, IMHO.

The Pope

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

The costs associated with a legal challenge are enormous. It will take a very special
    set of circumstances to put these actions into play but it is being done on the pedophilia
    issue already and my belief is that we will see more - perhaps many more actions
    in the future, especially if some precedents are won.

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

Perhaps it is time for the Watchtower Society to consider purchasing clergy malpractice insurance:

In the spring of 1979 insurance companies began offering clergy malpractice insurance covering damages "arising out of any acts, errors, or omissions because of the counseling practices of a pastor." On March 31, 1980, the parents of Kenneth Nally sued California's Grace Community Church of the Valley and its pastors, alleging that negligent counseling resulted in the suicide of their son. This first legal action against a clergyman for malpractice has aroused interest in both legal and religious communities. Is clergy malpractice actionable in a civil court, or is such judicial review an infringement of the First Amendment guarantee of free exercise of religion? . . .

Legal authorities agree that clergymen, despite the special status of thier profession, are liable for intentional torts. In the past, religious leaders have been held liable for fraud, kidnapping, assault and battery, and false imprisonment. Our question of clergy malpractice is based upon a new tort theory, relating to professional misconduct through the failure to exercise a certain standard of care applicable to other members of the profession. . . .

Defenders of the theory distinguish between purely sacerdotal functions and those which are not unique to a clergyman. The former are protected by the First Amendment, the latter are not. Judicial precedent for this distinction is found in Cantwell v. Connecticut, in which the Court held that the free exercise clause "embraces two concepts, freedom to believe and freedom to act. The first is absolute, the second cannot be." "Crime is no less odious," the Court observed, "because sanctioned by what any particular sect may designate as religion." Tort claims may therefore be actionable. In addition, advocates of the clergy malpractice theory maintain that since counseling has a secular counterpart, it is subject to judicial imposition of minimal standards of care and competence.

from http://www.jlaw.com/Articles/clergy_malpractice1.html

[Bolding mine.]

This is the heart of the Clergy Malpractice theory: that the defendant has misused his job created power and authority to deceive and betray the plaintiff and that this misuse has caused emotional and psychological damage to the plaintiff. According to this theory, the misconduct which is the focus of the tort is not the physical abuse, itself, but rather the clergyman's misrepresentations of the church's true positions on matters of faith and morals. In short, the clergyman has been a bad teacher. He has performed badly one of the most important tasks he was employed to perform.

from http://www.brincefield.com/clergy5.htm

Ginny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit