Big eyes- jw's all excited about the movie

by purrpurr 12 Replies latest jw friends

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

For those still attending. Have you seen an excitement go through the dubs about the Tim Burton film big eyes? They reckon it will give a "fine witness".

I've seen it and found it really irritating, basically Margaret Keane is such a timid mouse that she allows her husband to take all the credit for her work. The portrayal of jw's in it isn't great but it does lean towards the angle of they are her saviours.

Which is probably why all the dubs are so excited about it

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    My mum had to see it. I was stalking redbox to find it for her. It was movie of the week worthy. Another example of JWs finding someone with a weakness. Keane may be a fair example though of a person that is better off with the org, or at least one who will never be able to doubt out loud without having the internal and external demons making her wonder where else can she go?
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

I can't imanlgine why anyone would be excited about this. I would think most people don't care and won't remember what religion she was by the next day. If they do think about it they will probably see she just went from being a doormat for her husband to being a doormat for her religion.

• stillin
    stillin
    A local elder, in a lowered tone of voice, told me that he had slipped over to a theater to see it. Apparently, there is a spot of (gasp!) bad language in it so he wouldn't want it to be widely known that he had seen it. But he was raving about how good it is.
  • FreeGirl2006
    FreeGirl2006

I saw the movie and it was interesting. I met Margaret and her daughter when I visited Hawaii a million years ago when I was a dub. Frankly, looking back, I wonder if she and her daughter were struggling with cognitive dissonance. They both were sickly, couldn't be around people because of chemical sensitivities, and rather distant. That being said, it is a dusty memory and I could have some things wrong, but it was a disappointing meeting for a fan.

Based on the movie, she felt (as many women of that time period) that she needed a man (or figurehead) to guide her. She replaced the abusive hubbies with an abusive religion. Neither one required her to think for herself (until her life was threatened by hubbies and survival instinct kicked in). No doubt the dubbies think the religion was her savior from the abuse...

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

I just wonder how many of her mi££ion$ have been given to her new 'master' in Brooklyn, to pay for KH/Assembly Hall/Branch Office construction & paedophile court costs!

At least her husband was up-front with her about his money-grabbing deception!

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

The searcher, yes that was my thought too when I was forced to watch the film... How much has the WT got out of this vunrable woman?

I think she's about 99 now so there's no way she will leave dispite "the truth" having changed completely while she been in it.

And I wonder who gets all her $$$$$$ when she does die?

I'm sorry to hear the daughter has been assimilated too, I noticed in the film it showed the daughter sitting on the lawn chatting with a group of friends and listening to the radio. Her mothers response to this is that she is worried about these friends of her daughters because they seem "rather fast" (!) Seriously? Chatting and listening to the radio?

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Wife and I watched the movie a couple weeks ago and thought it was interesting.

We both concluded that she went right from one controlling relationship into another.

• What is Truth?
    What is Truth?

I watched the movie a couple of weeks ago while at some JW's house who have met Margaret Keane. It was pretty boring and I kept wondering why Tim Burton would work on such a film. When it hit me, while later I was silently ranting about how people can buy into the stupid cult, that the man is an f'ing genius. I didn't get it until I went over the whole motivation for Margaret to stand up and tell the truth was that Jehovah hates lying. To me at least the whole movie was a dramatic encouragement to stand up for what you know to be right and against those that oppress you and call them out on their lies and crimes. Of course to most dubs it will pass right over them, but for those with even minor doubts and especially those awake but afraid to stand up It will be a great encouragement/tough medicine.

I highly recommend it,

WIT

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I remember when I was a kid back in the mid 60's and my Mom had some of her prints framed and hung them in my younger sisters room but took them down because people at the Hall were saying they were supposedly demonic....the eyes were creepy etc. It was hilarious to find out years later she was a JW. By then everyone had turned their sites on Smurfs and other more current horrors.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit