Measuring Your Worth via The Organization

by startingover13 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• startingover13
    startingover13

One thing I've noticed growing up as a Jehovah's Witness is the insane amount of people that measure their worth and the worth of others according to 'spiritual' activties. To be fair, there are some sincere people that just want to work for a good cause. But I can't even have a conversation with some people without them talking about something religious. I try to be as tolerant as possible, but sometimes it's just a bit much. It borders on religious fanaticism. The worst thing is when they judge you or others based on some outward circumstances. "What do you mean you haven't read that article in the October Awake?" "You have a Saturday off, why aren't you preaching?" Not to mention the occaisional boasting and 'look at me' attitude that others have. Maybe some of you reading this have seen it. Again, it's not in all Witnesses. In fact, some of my best friends growing up were the balanced ones that were more in touch with reality. Someone I'm very close to is drawing further and further away from me because, frankly, I'm tired of pretending to care everytime they have the itch to get hyper spiritual. If I read an interesting article or come across a good spiritual point, then fine, we can talk about it. But every single day gets old. Especially when they have nothing else really going on. No other interests. Sad really.

The best way to cope with the foolishness I see/hear on a daily basis is through comedy. I've posted a short video about super religious people below. It's a standup. Quite funny.

Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=064xkvpgu4A

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Your point is well taken.

The Borg pushes all self-worth to be measured by the amount of measurable spiritual activities (Despite the seldom mentioned "Jehovah sees your effort").

It is like most orgs, "What have you done for us lately?"

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

Starting over, sooo true in the congregations. However the Governing Body wine and dine the wealthy $$$$.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great thread, and observation!

Indeed, they measure so called spirituality based on outward appearances and activity within the witness "bubble".

Truely, they need to "get a real life"!

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

This is true of MOST organized religions, but VERY true of the JW's. My Advent Lutheran in-laws measure everyone up like this and treat everyone not in their faith (my family, others) like complete DIRT under their feet. I / we now have nothing to do with them. Religion breeds such hypocrisy.

- Wing Commander

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And for rubbish. They base worth on complete dead works. You go out in field circus, and you travel the same streets that have been finished many times. Go into a street, knock on the doors, take note of everyone that takes the rags. Also take note of everyone you did not reach, so they can be hit again. Repeat until you get zero not at homes or all the not at homes are "dead", then turn in the territory for someone else to repeat. This is not the way to measure your value.

Nor is it a way to develop value. Every minute spent on this crap is a minute wasted that cannot be used on anything else. You cannot meditate on anything while you are doing that. You cannot learn anything useful. You are not producing anything useful. You are not gaining physical strength, save if you had been a tub of lard sitting on the couch eating pizza all day before. You are not developing spiritual strength, and there are no exceptions for that one. Can you learn a skill to barter with? Can you buy gold and silver while in field circus? Maybe, but you are far more likely to buy coffee and doughnuts instead. Can you prepare for potential emergencies, such as a simple blackout, while out in field circus? Probably not.

• startingover13
    startingover13

The sad thing is besides the preaching work, some of these people don't have anything else interesting to talk about.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

For hard-core fundies, it's all about appearances.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit