Something is true if it matches reality.
A true statement cannot contradict reality.
But a determined mind can interpret anything into its opposite!
All it takes is Black and White Thinking.
HOW DOES BLACK AND WHITE THINKING WORK?
If Jeffrey Dahmer's mother believed he was a good son, then he could not possibly be the guy who was eating people.
If O.J.Simpson was a fine, upstanding fella with a great personality, then he couldn't possibly have brutally murdered two people with a large knife.
A ton of evidence means nothing when belief is everything.
Black and White thinking won't permit facts to intrude!
Are YOU guilty of Black and White thinking?
Ask yourself this question:
WHEN was the last time you CHANGED your opinion, belief or actions???
DEFENDING "BELIEF" leads to . . .
You inhabit an alternate universe where delusion is stronger than what is really going on.
Know anybody like that?
We all----each of us---cling to false ideas.
Why? They "help" us feel better!
It is all too easy to become a SELF-CULT.
1. Block outside information which contradicts your core beliefs
2. Label critics with nasty names so it is easy to dismiss them without hearing their arguments
3. Seek constant reinforcement by only listening to those who agree
4. Make excuses and deflect
5. Repeat the same errors over and over calling it progress
What is really wrong with this world?
The blind determination to cling to your OWN favorite ideas, institutions and leaders narrows the possibility of real progress and improvement.
WHAT COLOR IS YOUR THINKING?
1. Do you only read things which support your POV? Do you ever objectively try to read the OTHER viewpoint, simply to understand it?
2. Can you empathize with the deep emotional committment humans have to their false coping mechanisms without condemning the person themselves?
3. Can you allow yourself to accept criticism without making excuses or lashing out?
4. Do you even KNOW your personal weaknesses? If you do, do you have ANY PLAN to improve? Do you do something about it each day?
THREE STEPS TO SEEING BEAUTIFUL COLORS
1. Admit and accept that no one person or group is the only one possessing absolute truth. This means your pursuit must widen into uncomfortable
areas of exploration and investigation.
2. Admit and accept you can't change anybody but yourself. Without a daily plan for self-improvement by objective standards, you will remain in ignorance probably thinking you are the one "in the know."
3. Admit and accept you are wrong a lot more often than you are even aware of. Practice saying, "I'm sorry--I was wrong." Don't follow such admissions with a list of excuses.
4. Learn to understand the difference between giving a reason and making an excuse.
5. Each time you catch yourself saying something critical about others--STOP---and find 3 things about yourself which need constant improvement.
6. Ask yourself: "When was the last time I was dead wrong?" The honest answer can't be older than a week, or you're lying to yourself.
7. How many of the things which make your life miserable would you say are the fault of "other" people? Try flipping that assessment and making responsible improvement.
JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES are convinced the have the absolute TRUTH.
Do they TEST that belief against reality?
Do they listen to critics without deflecting, labeling with pejoratives and dismissing peremptorily?
Are they open to reading outside of their comfort zone?
Do they look at other religious groups in a way that would improve their own standards of treating the poor, the afflicted, the troubled? Or,
are they convinced they have nothing to learn and everybody should only listen to them?
BLACK AND WHITE THINKING is a symptom
3. Lack of humility
4. Poor attention to disconfirming evidence
5. Bad habits
6. Sloppy thinking and reasoning
7. Inferior character development