Get behind me...ERM Satan!

by username 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• username
    username

Ok random thought just popped in my mind!

If Satan was cast down from heaven in 1914 how did he tempt Jesus almost 2000 years previously? Surely Jeeeeehovah wouldn't have let the evil one reside in heaven for so long? Especially as it was his son he tempted!

Told you it was random!

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Not sure what you're asking - are you saying why did god let satan hang out in heaven for so long after being a dick to Jesus, or are you asking how he was able to be a dick to jesus if he was in heaven?

On the first one - I suppose the answer is the same as why it's taken 6000 years to demonstrate that god's rulership is the only way. Pretty sure that should only take like 2-3 (non-overlapping) generations to be sufficiently proven. I guess JWs would fall back on the 1000 years is as a day to god nonsense.

For the second - the JW doctrine is that until 1914 satan had free reign to travel between heaven and earth, but after he's confined to the earth. So before he'd go up to god and taunt him and stuff and then he'd come down to earth and dick around with people and cause tsunamis and such, then back to heaven, etc.

• baltar447
    baltar447
    The jw understanding is, like in the book of Job Satan had free reign to enter and exit heaven. That ended when jeebus kicked his butt out in 1914.
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    There are two scriptures in the Bible that imply Satan was cast out of heaven in the time of Jesus being on earth. Just like there are several that imply Jesus was made king back then too. 1914 was simply a cover up, Russell predicted armegedon and they had to scramble to say something else happened that year to distract away from his failed prophecy. So they then said the gentile times has ended and Jesus was made king of course invisibly.
  • Simon
    Simon

Why didn't Dumbledore bequeath the Elder Wand directly to Harry instead of an elaborate trail of breadcrumbs to follow and letting Voldemort get it?

Simply because it would ruin the story. The author wanted a will they win / won't they win bit of tension.

It's a plot invention that makes no sense other than to support some story-line or narrative that otherwise doesn't really make any sense.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit