The best Parable I have ever heard!
‘Nothing good exists outside JW world’ is the general thinking among JWs. If they read “The Heart of the Enlightened” (written by Anthony de Mello), they would probably feel how wrong they were! Story goes like this: “There once lived a godly man. One day an angel came to him and told him God is pleased with him and any wish of his would be granted by God.
1) “Would you like to have the gift of healing?” the angel asked.
“No, it’s best that God did the healing Himself,” said the man.
2) “Would you like to help those who have gone astray?”
“No, that work is best done by angels.”
3) “Would you like to become a model of virtue for others to emulate?
“No, I don’t want to become the center of attention.”
Angel said: “If you do not ask for a wish, one would be granted anyway.”
“Alright,” said the holy man, “my wish is that good be done through me without my even being aware of it.”
From that moment on, the old man’s shadow was filled with the power of healing. And wherever he went, his shadow was healing people. And it was like as though all those other three gifts too were granted to him—he was healing, helping those who have gone astray and becoming a model of virtue for others to emulate! He was free from ego!!!
This is the best, because it captures exactly the attitude of God Himself—He equally nourishes the good and the bad through the life-support systems He has put in place on the earth without giving the impression that He is behind, and is not at all bothered about the praise or ridicule people shower on Him.—Mathew 5:44-48
How come such superb stories come from people whom JWs consider to be the part of the world being ruled by Satan? How far superior is the above parable to the parable of Mathew 24:45-48 (the most-cherished parable of JWs) which indirectly glorifies slavery! Contrast the above with the glory given to pioneers (the announcement in the Kingdom Hall when some joins the rank and the subsequent clapping of hands) and the life-stories published in WT highlighting the years of service ….
No matter how tall the tallest JW is, the parable will still go over their head.
Anthony de Mello is one of my favorites.
Can Anthony de Mello give people life, or just tickle their ear?
He equally nourishes the good and the bad through the life-support systems He has put in place on the earth without giving the impression that He is behind, and is not at all bothered about the praise or ridicule people shower on Him.—Mathew 5:44-48
Wait, God does what? I'm confused. What are you saying exactly about God's personality? Which God? Only the one in the new testament right, not the old testament one?
I do agree though that JWs are easily outshined in certain areas when compared to the parables or ideas of others like you pointed out. I bounced to a few dif non-denominational churches after I left the WT and noticed several "more ideal" perspectives on the bible. Eventually saw through them as well.
Do not get confused with OT or NT or any other scriptural presentation of the God. Bible itself says much of it is fabrication of dishonest men. (Jeremiah 7:22; 8:8) God has not used any scripture; if he did, he would not have permitted their corruption! So is the case with religions. The very fact that God has done nothing to systematize the conflicted religions throughout the millennia shows that they don’t belong to Him, and He doesn’t want our worship. And what He has done is more than enough for us to lead a good life:
1) He has given us a conscience to know what is right and wrong.
2) He has given us three major principles through His creation. For example, take any fruit-bearing tree. It is actually an interplay of truth (or eternity) and transience—memory of all future generations of that particular tree remains protected in the memory of its seed, hence there is something like a substratum in the seed that can be called TRUTH. Tree clothes its seed with sweet, nutritious flesh which teaches us BENEVOLENCE, and tree presents the fruit in appealing colors which teaches us BEAUTY. Hence Socrates taught: Whatever you speak, speak only the TRUTH, convey it if it is only BENEFICIAL to the listener, and convey it only if you can do it in a most pleasant manner (or with BEAUTY). Now try these qualities into your life—into your thinking, speaking, and acting, and see how you will be loved by people around you!