Spanish International Convention in Housont Texas - video

by wannabefree 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I came across this video on YouTube.

A "Special Report" obviously made by a JW but seemingly with full support of the convention overseers.

It is long, I haven't watched the full production, what I found interesting is how theatrical they got for these things. Dressing up in blue jeans and cowboy hats, putting on stereotypical (in any other setting JW's would call this being part of the world) cowboy-like personas ... it is quite theatrical and staged .... a bus is brought in led by a "cowboy" leaning out of a golf cart waving his hat like its a roundup, a cowboy greeter gives an obvious big hearty Texas handshake ... they take on the appearance of the world when it is fun for them but condemn the average Jdub at other times for doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IOych9MadY

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

International conventions always had people wearing their national garments to show JWs come from every country and every "land" as they would say. My mom's fondest memories of New York's 1958 convention are related to the colourful costumes delegates wore. My parents were there for 8 days and they didn't speak one word of English...still they were baptized...joining an international brotherhood.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

"National Garments" ... yeah, I guess they do what they can to hype it up and make it fun, but they are costume parties, try dressing like that at any other convention ... in the UK do the sisters wear Victorian gowns with plunging necklines and the brothers top hats or powdered wigs, perhaps a coat of armour?

It would be interesting to see brothers and sisters from New Guinea arriving, men wearing their traditional penis sheath and women in grass skirts and topless.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit