SHOCKING elder's talk: "..when we are baptized we abdicate all responsibility to think for ourselves.."

by yadda yadda 2 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

I found this recorded elder's talk (presumably genuine) quite disturbing in how he states that in order to maintain unity, JW's have given up thinking for themselves and passed over their thinking ability to the Governing Body.

"When you're baptized, your thinking is not your own anymore...your thinking is done for you...we carry out to the letter everything the Society tells us to do..."

His concluding statement "STOP THINKING FOR YOURSELVES!"

There's the usual reference to the Korah and those who challenged Moses, but "you in the congregation are safe as long as you don't speak out against the elders and Jehovah's organisation..."

Only good thing he says is specifically mentioning Ray Franz's two books lol.

I've never seen more chilling proof that JW's are a brainwashed, cultish, mind control religion.

Listen for yourself. It really is the stuff of Jonestown/poisoned barrels of koolaid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-89-IC7rmg#t=132

• Listener
    Listener

It's not real Yadda, for one thing there is absolutely no background noise such as people coughing but if you listen to his other video's it becomes more obvious.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

No background noise, as Listener said. Too blatant, 'in your face.' Lingo was off for a elder. One of the give-aways was mentioning Ray Franz and CoC by name and title. Only long-timers (or 'apostates') would recognize the name, and this 'talk' was produced in the clean digital, rather than fuzzy analogue, era.

• Fernando
    Fernando

*** g82 9/22 p. 18 Should I Be Afraid of What Others Think? ***
    Many young persons let others do their thinking for them. Rather than deciding for themselves the best course, they follow the crowd.

*** g82 9/22 p. 18 Should I Be Afraid of What Others Think? ***
    But when your peers see that you will do your own thinking and stand up for right principles, expect some problems. Why?

“The man [or, woman] of thinking abilities is hated.” (Proverbs 14:17) A young person who exercises his thinking faculties and refuses to conform to improper peer pressure is often disliked and ridiculed.

*** w56 6/15 p. 360 Getting and Giving the Thoughts of God ***
    We usually believe what we want to believe, and one thing we like to believe is that we do our own thinking. Hence it is not too hard for clever propagandists to make us think their thoughts are ours. They plant the thought and nourish it, but do it so subtly that we think it is our own.

• Fernando
    Fernando

As a caricature, this video seems to have succeeded by eliciting a strong response from a Borg defender on YouTube, by daring to verbalise the hidden message of the GB (Sanhedrin): "our followers are the 'thinkingest' people on earth because they let us think for them".

• Pinku
    Pinku

Whether the instrument is genuine or not, the principle relfected in the talk is genuine. For example, you begin to think differently on some topic, the shepherds will try to help you to revert--often using the terms such as "we don't think for yourself, or take decision for you, ultimately decision is yours." Yet they won't tolerate if the counselled one is unwilling to change his thinking. What does it mean? You are not allowed to think!

• blondie
    blondie

I wonder what the apostle John was thinking:

(1 John 4:1) 4 Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired expression, but test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God, because many false prophets have gone forth into the world.

--------

*** w10 9/1 pp. 12-13 Guard Against Being Deceived ***

Rather than being deceived by what is “falsely called ‘knowledge,’” use God’s Word to establish the truth. (1 Timothy 6:20, 21) Be like the noble-minded men and women whom the apostle Paul preached to in Beroea. They “received the word with the greatest eagerness of mind.” Not only were they keenly believing what the apostle Paul taught them but they were also carefully examining the Scriptures daily as to whether these things were so.”—Acts 17:11.

You have nothing to fear from examining your beliefs in this way. In fact, the Bible encourages you to “make sure of all things” before accepting them as true. (1 Thessalonians 5:21) Toward the end of the first century C.E., the apostle John urged his fellow Christians: “Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired expression, but test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God.” (1 John 4:1) Yes, even though a certain religious teaching seems to be “inspired”—or to come from God—it is still the course of wisdom to examine the Scriptures to make sure before accepting it as true.—John 8:31, 32.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Apologies if I've posted a fake elders talk, which is surprising since the author seems to be promoting orthodox Christianity so you'd think he'd be more honest (but since when were Christians any more honest than anyone else?), unless they themselves were taken in too.

In hindsight I tend to agree it's probably fake, mainly for the reason that surely no elder would specifically name Ray Franz's books to a whole congregation.

It's annoying the depths some anti-JW's will go to on the internet. They do a disservice to genuine ex-JW's who are trying to refute JW's defence that many apostates claims are fraudulent/bogus.

• stillin
    stillin

However! I have heard strikingly similar statements made from the platform.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

This may not be real but one of the elders on my JC said he stoped thinking after he got baptized, so its real that they do it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit