Education

by M*A*S*H 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• M*A*S*H
    M*A*S*H

Just looking on JW.org at an education related topic; http://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/g201210/what-parents-can-do/

Be reasonable with regard to how much education to pursue.

As mentioned earlier, education can help prepare your child for responsible adulthood. (Genesis 2:24) But how much schooling does reaching that goal require?

Do not assume that your child must attend a university to make a decent living. There are other options that are less costly. In fact, in some cases those with trade skills can make as good a living as university graduates.

I was curious about that Genesis quote...

That is why a man will leave his father and his mother and he will stick to his wife, and they will become one flesh.

Are they trying to suggest we only need enough learning to leave 'mum and dad', shack up with a wife and understand which bit goes where?

I reckon the first draft of the last paragraph above left the writing department like this...

Do not assume that your child must attend a university to make a decent living; windows do not clean themselves you know.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

it's very misleading. Statements like what you quoted above aren't necessarily wrong. There's definitely some college degrees that are worthless and some trades that can pay very very well.

The problem is what they aren't telling you there. That page doesn't mention that a JW can get in trouble for going to college for a bachelors or greater. If you have privileges such as MS/Elder/Pioneer you can have them removed if you or a member of your household goes to college.

• Pinku
    Pinku

Signs of senility (nearly 120 years old), and they do not know what they are saying!

• Gustv Cintrn
    Gustv Cintrn

Do not be misled by 'old' Org stance; today's savvy JWs have opened up their eyes widely to the fact that a high school educ will not prepare anybody to pay the never ending bills/taxes and carry on a household with dignity.

In my cong there are a group of youngsters (like 7 or so) going to college, although still living at home because these colleges/univ are within commuting distance; sons and daugters of elders, ministerial servants, and regular publishers. All is well with them thus far. However, it's quite the equilibrium task because going to college is very demanding and so is being a JW in good standing; balancing both is difficult, but not impossible.

Even a few older ones are taking classes online and at the local Community College to further their chances at a better job. I see that trend more and more among the young JWs in mine and surrounding Spanish congregations. It's good.

GC

• M*A*S*H
    M*A*S*H

Gustv, a member of my family still part of the borg was an elder and university lecturer (prof) at the same time, somewhat ironic!

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

Typical WTBSpeak: "In some cases.." simply allows them to make unsupported claims as if they are fact. The stats are clear - earning power (and lets face it the GenX and Millennals will need a lot more in retirement than boomers) is more and the risk of unemployment less.

The WTBS has no authrority - divine, scriptural, ethical or morally to even remotely comment on what someone should or should not do to support themselves first, then a family (if they choose) and by extension the strong likelyhood of looking after their parents in 30 - 35 years for the dumbass decisions their parents made as 'dubs to build a career as a night stocker at WallMart while waiting for the "end'. This will come back to haunt the WTBS - might be happening already with the early boomers in retirement who have no means of support beyond basic government offered pensions - if they have that.

The education stance was in part a significant reason for both my departure and my family. It makes me cringe at their audacity to stick their snotty noses where it does not belong. Over the years I saw countless bright kids give up opportunities to go to university on scholarships and end up depressed and in some cases eventually leave the *.org.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit