Questions From Readers : Did Jesus preach to the dead people of Noah's days?

by raymond frantz 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• raymond frantz
    raymond frantz

Sorry guys I posted that the other day but with some of the actual post missing ,here it is again .Please feel free to find errors,raise questions or fill me in with any more valueable information on the matter .I don't claim to know it all I'm just someone who's constantly looking for answers as most of you here :

Did Jesus preach to the dead souls of people from Noah’s days?

What does 1 Peter 3:19, 20 mean? “In this state [in the spirit, following his resurrection] also he [Jesus] went his way and preached to the spirits in prison, who had once been disobedient when the patience of God was waiting in Noah’s days, while the ark was being constructed, in which a few people, that is, eight souls [“souls,” KJ, Dy; “people,” TEV, JB; “persons,” RS], were carried safely through the water.” Were those “spirits in prison” the souls of the humans who had refused to take heed to Noah’s preaching before the Flood, and was the way now open for them to go to heaven? Comparison of 2 Peter 2:4 and Jude 6 with Genesis 6:2-4 shows that these spirits were angelic sons of God that had materialized and married in Noah’s day. At 1 Peter 3:19, 20 the Greek word for “spirits” is pneu′ma·sin, while the word rendered “souls” is psy·khai′. The “spirits” were not disembodied souls but disobedient angels; the “souls” here referred to were living people, humans, Noah and his household.(read the rest of the post here...)

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I was not there so I don't. As I mentioned before, the Apostles Creed said Jesus went down to hell.

• raymond frantz
    raymond frantz

The apostle's creed earliest mention is 390 C.E. why should that be taken as authority for examining these verses? Is there any solid evidence that the creed was actually written by the apostles ?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

We have n o way of knowing what the apostles taught in the immediate aftermath of Jesus' resurrection. The Acts account of Pentecost does not teach content. I just read the Nicene Creed. It only goes so far as his burial. I recall hearing that the hell part was legend. Again, I was not in hell so I have no idea if Jesus were there. The Flood story repels me.

• raymond frantz
    raymond frantz

There is book called Didache and dateed from 1st C.E. have you had a look at that ? It would be interesting to know if the concept of hell is disgussed there

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

if I recall correctly, the book of enoch (fragments found in dead sea scrolls confirming authenticity), describes a few sets of spirits. the angels who rebelled who are currently imprisoned and the spirits of the nephilim (since 1/2 human 1/2 spirit) who are the 'demons' who wander the Earth.

• InChristAlone
    InChristAlone

The evangelical viewpoint is that Jesus went to Sheol/Hades for three days and "preached" to the OT souls, both righteous and unrighteous.

• goingthruthemotions

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit