Judaism to JW back to Judaism anyone?

by Bridgette 4 Replies latest social entertainment

• Bridgette
    Bridgette

I am wondering if there are any who practiced Judaism before becoming JWs, or even better, went from Judaism, to JWs, back to Judaism. I am just curious. I suspect there are very few people who would convert from Judaism to JW, but if there are any (esp. those who return to Judaism), I would like input on your experience.
    Thank you,
    Bridgette

• DCs Ghost
    DCs Ghost

read the Kabbalah

"we do not see the world as it is,
    we see the world as we are. . ." Anais Nin

• Bridgette
    Bridgette

Dear DC's Ghost,
    Are you telling me to read the Kaballah, or are you saying you have read the Kaballah. I have delved into the Kaballah. Perhaps one of the most fascinating and telling of spiritual studies.
    Thanks for the reply. I did not think I would get much feed back, as I just do not think that anybody who truly studied Torah indepth would ever become a Jehovah's Witness counterfiet. The witnesses do seem to rip off the surface stuff of the rabbi's without understanding the spiritual depth of it all. Torah, understood beyond the surface level supposedly leads to the spiritual depth of Zohar and Kaballah.
    Thanks,
    B.
    p.s. Anybody study Kaballah or Zohar here?

• DCs Ghost
    DCs Ghost

hello Bridgette,

as i read your post i see how my response can be taken 2 different ways,
    i came across some books on the subject shortly after leaving the borg. at the time i had decided to read on judaism, being that jesus was a jew and all, and i figured i would read up and see what he would have been taught, etc. that was my starting point, so to speak, in as far as comparisons to what i had been taught being raised a dub, from there my curiosity led me to read about other faiths, but not before i looked into the kabbalah,
    definitely interesting to say the least, the way that genesis' creation account can be interpreted on various levels, 8 if i remember correctly, depending from what perspective it is being analyzed and how the hebrew characters come into play, a definite eye-opener,
    so i guess subconsciously it was meant as both, though when i wrote it i meant for you to read up on it

i would agree with you that many jews would have a hard time surrendering their will to the ways of the borg, for all the slack that the jewish community gets one thing they do have are sympathetic rabbis willing to answer questions dealing with faith and belief

"we do not see the world as it is,
    we see the world as we are. . ." Anais Nin

• Bridgette
    Bridgette

My studies of the Kaballah are admittedly limited. I would love to understand more about it--but many maintain that one must be completely learned in the Torah first (who's got that kind of time!). From what I've read, it contains the same universal truths you will find in most of the mystical, hermatic studies: the world as we know it is illusion, all is energy, we are components of godhead, and have forgotten who and what we are, etc. Whatever you know and can share, would be appreciated.
    My quest to study how people worship in all different ways has taken me to a surface study of Judaism. While I could never convert, I find it fascinating that Torah is SO different from the study of the Hebrew scriptures that we were forced to learn. A judaic perspective gives the bible a whole new meaning (go figure, it's their book, their history, their god). Anyway, another thing that the witnesses and many christians have all wrong (but ESPECIALLY the witnesses) is that worshippers of this hebrew god were and ARE expected to question everything. There is no central dogma, other than monotheism, there is no "headquarters", you can say anything you want to a rabbi, and you will at least be heard. Look at Jesus and his apostles--they spread christianity first IN THE SYNAGOGUES, because they were allowed to get up and speak, question, and argue---you'd never find that in a Kingdom Hall--you'd be shut down right away for going against dogma.
    Anyway, I'm almost through with studying Judaism, but it's been good for me to take a second, alternative look at good ole' bible god. He's still kind of a meanie, imo, but not exactly the blood thirsty brute the WTBTS made him out to be. He was manufactured for a people who'd been slaves all thier lives to rebuild a great, intellectual, evolved (for their time) nation.
    thanks,
    B.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit